Middle Keys dive operator recommendation request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After 18 months, Mr. Potato Cod and I will finally be diving again. We're heading to the Keys in August for a week and will be based in Marathon. Any recommendations on dive operators there or the nearby middle keys? We'd like to dive Looe Key as well as the Marathon area. We like a boat that's big enough to have a head and some shaded areas to stay out of the sun when on deck.

Favorite operators in the area?

We've used Key Dives on the southern end of Islamorada several years ago although not middle keys it is about 30 miles from Marathon. We had a good experience with Key Dives and is where my daughter did her cert dives.

Edit:
I should have noticed how far Looe Key is from the Key Dives location. They do have large boats but not sure if they would go that far south.

Looe Key Reef Resort, MM 27 on Ramrod Key for Looe Key.

Islamorada Dive Shop is great!

Tell us a little bit more what you would like/looking for fromyour dive op.

After 18 months, Mr. Potato Cod and I will finally be diving again. We're heading to the Keys in August for a week and will be based in Marathon. Any recommendations on dive operators there or the nearby middle keys? We'd like to dive Looe Key as well as the Marathon area. We like a boat that's big enough to have a head and some shaded areas to stay out of the sun when on deck.

Favorite operators in the area?

I did not appreciate the Looe Key dive operation. Maybe others have had better luck.

Captain Hooks runs boats out of Marathon and Big Pine (and Key West)...

Captain Hook's | Now Serving Marathon, Big Pine Key and Key West!
Another recommendation for Captain Hook's here. My wife and I dove with them for a week while on our honeymoon. Good folks to dive with and large comfortable boats. You'll pass them on your left as you enter Marathon, can't miss 'em.

We also went out on a snorkel-only ride - which is unusual for us. There is a nice "SPA" or "Special Protected Area" that you can snorkel in. Amazing number of fish and other critters in that SPA. I didn't look up the rules, but I presumed by the lack of any scuba divers in that area it must be snorkel only. The snorkel ride was much more fun than I expected it would be.

Key Dives or Captain Hook , can't go wrong with either one

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom