Middle TN Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone mention Loch Low Minn? I don't know what thier hours and such are but they are really nice and You could see. I live in Nashville and I love to dive and I took most of my training in Fred's Quarry or ROckdivers. Pennyroyal was like swimming in a tomb. Cold DARK, Very DARK(did I say it was dark??:06: ) and very low vis. I was in a farmer jane 6.5 mil both pieces in MAy and it was 58 degrees.

Anyway I am always looking for someone to go diving with. Maybe we can all take a trip in my minivan to FLorida over the weekend some time. My husband dives as well and I have two friends who are instructors that we can take with us if anyone wants instruction. Mark and Marcos!!

beachdivequeenbelam:
Pennyroyal was like swimming in a tomb. Cold DARK, Very DARK(did I say it was dark??:06: ) and very low vis. I was in a farmer jane 6.5 mil both pieces in MAy and it was 58 degrees.
That's not really unusual for that time of year, I'd think. Conditions at the Trench at Martha's are similar then. In both quarries, there are thermoclines below which the water never really warms up and both may be susceptible to vis-reducing algae blooms.

Pennyroyal was wonderfully clear when I went in June, yet quite comfortable in a drysuit. :)

mike_s:
I doubt that SDI will re-open their quarry now that Rock Divers is
in operation. It would cost them a great deal of expense to re-open
any quarry, especially providing facilities, insurance, compressors, etc.
for an operation that really only gets crowded the summer months
and only on weekends typically.
Sorry, what I meant by "re-open" was to re-open for rock extraction. It's easier to re-open an old quarry for rock extraction than to get the permit for a new quarry....

Insurance is definitely expensive - that's part of the reason that Diveland closes for 4 months during the winter....

Cheers,
BD

vodolaz:
That's not really unusual for that time of year, I'd think. Conditions at the Trench at Martha's are similar then. In both quarries, there are thermoclines below which the water never really warms up and both may be susceptible to vis-reducing algae blooms.

Pennyroyal was wonderfully clear when I went in June, yet quite comfortable in a drysuit. :)
Thats my next cert and purchase drysuit training and a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom