Miflex hose cover a place to grow organisms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since XS Scuba is the USA distributor, thought I'd throw this question to them. If anyone knows the answer, feel free to respond.

I use a Miflex LP hose for my primary reg. I dive at the local aquarium as a volunteer. One of the staff said I shouldn't dive the tanks with a Miflex hose because the nylon outer braiding could bring microorganisms into the tank. My thought is, so could a wetsuit, boots, gloves, mask, and just about anything else. There's a rule at the aquarium that your gear has to be dry at least 1 week before using it in a tank so that anything that was on it would have died in that period.

Any info on the Miflex hose braiding being resistant to microbe housing and growth?

Since XS Scuba is the USA distributor, thought I'd throw this question to them. If anyone knows the answer, feel free to respond.

I use a Miflex LP hose for my primary reg. I dive at the local aquarium as a volunteer. One of the staff said I shouldn't dive the tanks with a Miflex hose because the nylon outer braiding could bring microorganisms into the tank. My thought is, so could a wetsuit, boots, gloves, mask, and just about anything else. There's a rule at the aquarium that your gear has to be dry at least 1 week before using it in a tank so that anything that was on it would have died in that period.

Any info on the Miflex hose braiding being resistant to microbe housing and growth?

Just my opinion ( my business is in plastics) Your thoughts are right on- The hoses are basically a plastic and non-porous. There is nothing in the material to stimulate or promote micro-organism growth. More porous areas that can retain water (pads and the bladder on BC's, fabrics over neoprene, void spaces in your reg's) are much more of a threat to harbor micro-organisms than your hoses.

If you're worried about it how about wiping with isopropol alcohol?

Adam

I'm not worried about it at all, as far as growing "things". It's just a pain that the staff at the aquarium I dive at is concerned about it. That means I'll have to change my LP hose over to the old rubber hose every time I go dive the aquarium. If I can show some legitimate proof that "things" won't get carried in on the Miflex hose, I can put this situation to rest and not sweat the hose changing. That's all I'm trying to come up with here.

Any porous surface can be a vector for microorganism transmission. Many aquariums require that you use only their equipment. I agree that a wetsuit would be MUCH more likely to be an effective vector than a Miflex hose, and I am quite supprised that they let you use your wetsuit from outside the aquarium.

Any porous surface can be a vector for microorganism transmission. Many aquariums require that you use only their equipment. I agree that a wetsuit would be MUCH more likely to be an effective vector than a Miflex hose, and I am quite supprised that they let you use your wetsuit from outside the aquarium.

How about the bacteria and fungi that grow on skin? I'm surprised they let *him* into the aquarium.

Adam

I do a lot of work at the Aquarena Center in Texas. They have a gear wash protocol in place that is approved by USFWS. You can wash your gear in a vinegar solution, a quick dip in a chlorinated pool, a salt water pool will kill all the fresh water bugs, or just let the gear dry out for a couple of days. Lots of ways to make sure we don't spread bugs.

What you might try is getting in touch with them at Diving for Science : Aquarena Center : Texas State University and get a copy of their procedures to share with your aquarium.

BTW, the staff is right about your hoses. Some bugs just need a wet place to survive.

How about the bacteria and fungi that grow on skin? I'm surprised they let *him* into the aquarium.

Adam

They are assuming that he has washed his body since the last time he was diving in a different body of water.

I would think it would be rather dangerous, marine life wise, for an aquarium to to allow divers to use their own equipment. As far as introducing something new to the captive environment, it stands to reason that the aquarium equipment be used in the aquarium and the OW equipment be used in the ocean and never the twain shall meet. Not an aquarist,not an aquarium diver but have previous experience with home aquariums.

Many aquariums require that you use only their equipment. I agree that a wetsuit would be MUCH more likely to be an effective vector than a Miflex hose, and I am quite supprised that they let you use your wetsuit from outside the aquarium.

Agreed. All the aquariums I've heard of with diver programs require that you use their equipment. No outside stuff allowed at all due to risk of cross contamination, including wetsuits, etc. I'm really surprised they allow you to use any of your equipment at all.

Back
Top Bottom