MIght be a while before we dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butch103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey folks, checkout the following thread...could be awhile before we get wet doing the deep ones :wacko:

://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/03/12/canada.lakes.reut/index.html

Hey Butch...saw that on TV the other night. I think we should just don the scuba gear and do some Ice flow surfing when it starts to break up. But the warm weather is coming.....and fast!!
Randy...

and I saw PLENTY of open water. Granted, Saginaw Bay and Tawas Bay were both frozen hard, but up on the way to Oscoda, the AuSable river flows into Lake Huron and there was lots of open water.

I heard the same report on Paul Harvey's report at noon today and don't see how they can say that Lake Huron is frozen over when I could see openwater just about 100 yards from the beach along US-23 in Michigan????

I wondered the same actually. When my SO and I went to Barbados we flew over Lake Ontaro and I saw lots of water....Perhaps they mean as opposed to frozen solid kinda like slush ...??? Who knows...

wetman once bubbled...
what was all that talk about global warming i've heard over the past few years...

I was looking forward to tropical winters up here very shortly.
You computer guys are all dreamers....:wink:

I don't think you can judge the extent of this year's ice by looking at the Great Lakes. They don't freeze over - at least not anymore.

My uncle who had a cottage at Bowmanville in the 40's told me about the one time he knew that Lake Ontario froze and apparently you could walk across the lake. That was a long time ago.

However, the ice on the smaller lakes and rivers can affect the GL a great deal. While ice diving on Simcoe 2 weeks ago the ice was 20" thick. Last weekend at the same spot it was 22" thick.

All that ice and water ends up in the Great Lakes and the same happens for 150 miles around each of the lakes. The water in Kingston will be cold this year unless we get a LOT of warmth very quickly. If that happens you'll need to wear your BC to bed.

Just can't win!

You aren't very encouraging ......Are you ??... :confused:

I wondered about the report. I found the water was colder last year than the year before, only about 4-5 degrees, but it was noticable. :wacko:

hmmm, time for thicker undies! LOL

Last august, on the deck of the Alberta, in 110' of water, was 38*F according to my gauges. Can't get much colder than that and still be liquid. As long as I can swim thru it, I'm diving! LOL

MIght be a while before we dive !

That's for sure.
The annual Peterborough Ice Flow race, (which was run with inner tubes last year due to lack of ice) was canceled this weekend , due to an overabundance of ice.

The Atonobee River is froze solid in the area of the race!

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom