Mike Ball pulls out of PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OHGoDive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

Just wondering whether anyone has any details regarding Mike Ball's decision to pull out of PNG? Their website announcement is pretty succinct, and doesn't mention any plans for the Paradise Sport in 2007.

Thanks!

I emailed them and this is their response,

"Thank you for your email, at this stage we have no final decision on what
will happen with the vessel , other than stopping the png operation at the
end of Jan 2007.

We will keep everyone advised.

Regards"

I will tell you this, after spending much time in PNG, it is a nightmare place for ex-pats to try to run a business. Tribal customs and constant demands for compensation from village chiefs along the coastlines will make you tear your hair out. Alan Raabe, who has developed much of the diving in many areas of PNG, is often at his wits end. I will never be surprised to hear a business pulling out. Sad, but true...

hmmm. fascinating though. what a friggin fascinating place. I cannot wait to check it out. I think it seems like one of the most interesting places still left in the world

You are right about that. Tribal customs surface at the smallest things. People living on the coastal areas have been around westerners the longest and most wear western clothing and appear western. Don't be fooled, though. It doesn't take much to scratch through to the real PNG.
The people in the highlands were only "discovered" by the west in 1930's. The Waagi valley had over a million people living there, just noone knew. As a result, they have gone from the stone age to the space age in an incredibly short time. The veneer of westernization is even thinner there. When you think about it, it shows their adaptability to even absorb so much in so short a time. Learn about their customs to avoid making costly mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom