Military diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding reliable information about how to become a military diver. It seems like once you enlist, the job you get depends on a lot of things outside of your control. And once you're trained to be a diver, it doesn't sound like you actually spend allot of time in the water. If this is all true, then I don't want to join, but if it isn't then Military diving sounds like the perfect job for me. Does anyone have any good information, or advise for me?

PS what about the Coast Guard. I'd love to be a Coastie but it doesn't seem like diving can be your main job.

Hi Max and welcome to SB.

First off, are you a diver already? Why do you want to become a military diver? What kind of diving do you want or think you’re going to do? What branch of service are you interested in? What kind of trade or specialty do you have or are interested in? And how old are you?

Gary D.

Welcome Max Check out this forum here on SB Military Divers

I'm 20, and I was planning on transferring to U.C Berkeley, from j.c in the fall. But, I'm a little freaked out about graduating in 2 years and being stuck in a desk job. So, I've been thinking about what I want to do, and I've decided to take a couple years off from school to do something physically demanding and dangerous. At first I wanted to be a rescue swimmer, because I love the water. But my friend is one in the Navy, and while he loves his job, it doesn't sound right for me. So, I looking into diving and from what I can tell it seems right up my alley.
Now my plan is to become a military diver and then go back to school for an archeology degree, when I can. that way I can be a marine archeologist or a history teacher, or a commercial diver, or a dive instructor, or ...etc.
that's what I like about my plan, is that it gives me lots of good options. But I want to know if this plan is realistic. So that's why I'm asking everyone I can, before I do anything drastic.

Well, it’s going to take more than a couple of years off from school to become a military diver. The government invests a lot of money into making a person a diver and it will take more than a two year commitment. Also graduating from dive school is not all that easy if you can get there.

Are you already a diver or is it just something you think you would like to do?

If you want something dangerous and demanding have you thought about racing motorcycles? Diving in the military is demanding but their safety record is very good. Much better than it used to be.

Do you mind getting ordered around in a structured environment?

Gary D.

If you want to be a military diver, you have to be determined to the point of being pig headed! Read this:

Make like Jacques Cousteau

‘Diving is a cold, wet, and dirty business, son. What did you do before you wanted to be a diver?’
‘I was a Poohouse attendant in Alaska, sir!’

When I joined up at HMS Raleigh in November 1975, I was a little over seventeen years old and I was going to be a diver. I’d decided.

Basically, when you join at Raleigh you are a seaman first, as in pulling ropes and doing up shackles, but as a baby seaman, there’s a lot of cleaning and painting also. Then, if you pass basic training, you go on to learn your trade: Radar Operator, Torpedo and Anti-Submarine (TAS ape), Mine Warfare (Muppet) or others, perhaps even a Bubble Head (Clearance Diver).

If you told them you were there to be a diver, as I did, they gave you that knowing smile and asked you to pick a second and third choice. ‘Just in case you are disappointed and don’t make it.’

Well I could understand that for other people, but not for me. I was only going to be a diver, you see. ‘But you need to choose something else, just in case,’ they kept saying.
What’s the point? I’m here to be a diver; nothing else will do. Tears, near-death experiences, hypothermia, hospital, you name it, I couldn’t do anything else, because that was what I was in for, that was what I was going to be. Simple as that. Non-negotiable. The others can fail. I’m not going to.

Some had seen Jacques Cousteau on the telly, cave diving or dolphin stroking, and probably thought, ‘I’ll try it. If not, I’ll do something else.’ But the reality of jumping into the water in Plymouth Dockyard soon puts you right.

The first time I’d taken an ‘aptitude test’, to see if I would cut it, was at HMS Raleigh about a week after I’d got there. I’d never even gone sports diving, never been under water apart from holding my breath – which I’d done hours of in preparation. I was a bit worried about the diving part. Would I even like it? That was the least of my worries. Before you even get near a diving set in the Navy they try their level best to put you right off the very idea.

Over the ten weeks you’re there doing basic training, I would guess some four or five hundred lads must’ve thought, ‘I’ll give diving a go.’ Now, they aren’t going to give them all a dive, so the first thing they have to do is get the numbers down to a manageable level.

Around 50 went on the same first day as me. The first thing you do is go for a nice long run. When we got back we were already down to 40. Then it was beasting time: sit-ups, press-ups, star jumps, burpies and lots of shouting that seemed to reduce our numbers again. Next, it was time to put you in a diving suit. Mine I remember was a size 5. I am 5 feet 5 inches and then, at the tender age of seventeen, not exactly built like a brick toilet. But I was fit, thanks largely to a year at boarding school with a merciless PE teacher. When I eventually started the course I was wearing a size 2 dry suit. So this one was more than double my build – there was room for a few guests inside with me.

‘Wow! Maybe we’re going diving!’ The next couple of hours were spent in pairs, doing fast dresses until our fingers bled. To the shout of ‘AWKWARD!’ each pair had to get into their Avon neck-entry rubber dry suits within two minutes. ‘Not fast enough! Get undressed. Try again. And again.’ You don’t just have to get into the suit through a seemingly impossible-size rubber hole, you must also get your neck rings, neck seal, and neck clamp on both divers, before you are finished. You keep this up until there is a more realistic class size. Then we must be going diving?

When I did eventually manage to get into my enormous suit, I looked like I had elephantiasis-legs. There were rolls and rolls of spare rubber down by my ankles. Our numbers were down to around 15–20 already, and it wasn’t even lunchtime!

Next we went for what they called a mud run. How it got that name, I’ll never know. ‘Run’ should not be in the title at all. Mud-drowning, mud-crawling, flailing around in the mud in a gasping manner with no sense of purpose or direction. I know that is too long a description but it would be about right. Another thing that has always bothered me is, why are Navy bases always so near to thick black stinking mud anyway? Is it by design, or just sheer luck?

Running as a group, we came across the mud flats, and luckily for us the tide was right out, leaving a majestic swathe of the black, stinking mess for us to go fall and get stuck in. There was a distant post stuck out on the horizon.

‘Right!’ said the Chief. ‘Run round that post, and back here in ten minutes. Any questions? GO!’

After only ten or fifteen minutes, people to my left and right who, not long ago, were sane, reasonable, normal-thinking young men, were turned into gasping, heaving, black, lumbering wrecks. Some of the aptitudees seemed to be going in one direction only, and that was down. I was making light work of it compared to some and I was going full speed to nowhere. My titanic efforts didn’t seem to be appreciated at all by my superiors and they seemed intent on encouraging me on and on to even greater endeavours. I thought my lungs would burst.

There was one lad who was a little too stout for all this strenuous activity – and after getting less than 50 yards into the course he just could not move, or breathe. It was not unlike a climber who cannot go up or down.

The thing I discovered over the years was, if you stop, you’ve had it. The longer you are in one place, the more you sink. If you stop and sink you have to put your weight on one leg to lift the other one out of the mud, to try and stride forwards. If you do this, your standing leg is now stuck, so you have to put weight on the other leg to lift your standing leg, and so on. Exhausting isn’t the word for it: it drains you to the very core.

In the end they threw him a line and someone had to tie it under his arms and the instructors pulled him unceremoniously over the mud, mostly on his back, but sometimes on his front, to safe terra firma where he lay for an age trying to catch his breath. His face was the colour and shape of a bruised tomato and he kept getting long, black muddy worms out of his nose and sinuses. Somehow, the mud seemed to have even got behind his eyes! The instructors barely looked down at this dying swamp monster at their feet. I never saw him again.

An hour in, and even I was not faring so well now. I had rounded the post – but I was dying. The life would get sucked out of you, you get so hot because your body heat cannot escape the neck and cuff seals. Because you are watertight, you are of course airtight. It’s like being a boil-in-the-bag meal, like being poached alive.
My huge suit was in charge of where we went, not me. I had to take about three steps before the boot parts of my suit, which were dragging a way back behind me, started to move. I was actually standing in what would be the knees for a six-footer. You see, the suction of the mud just takes your boots off. Sometimes I would drag myself forward that one more step, so they could see I hadn’t given up, and the boot, stuck in the mud behind me, would lose its fragile grip in the suction and come flying at me like a catapulted welly, which is what it was.

Just over halfway around, I was constantly getting abuse and being told to give up but, being ‘very determined’, I was not going to. I was eventually dragged out close to the finish by one of the ‘Second Dickies’. I’d not given up, that’s what had kept me there. I’d survived. That part anyway. Only one racing snake had managed to complete the mud run.

The Navy’s excuse (or reason) for inflicting these ‘mud flailing’ exercises was, ‘If you attack an enemy shore it may be muddy!’ It might not, I thought.

At lunchtime, eating my bag meal, I thought long and hard about my career choice. Do I want to spend the rest of my Navy time, and maybe the best part of my life, doing this? Being abused, being boiled, then cold and wet (if I ever get diving), and getting shouted at? Why not become a radar operator or maybe a store man, always in the warm, or get into mine warfare?
I couldn’t do it. That would be giving up, that would mean they’d beaten me. No way is that going to happen. They had passed, so would I.

The afternoon got considerably better. We started in the classroom, a heated one at that, learning a little about what being a clearance diver entailed. Some seemed shocked to learn that the ‘clearance’ part of the title meant clearing bombs and mines. One lad just stood up and said ‘**** that!’ and walked out. The instructor didn’t try to stop him. He didn’t bat an eyelid; he just carried on with his lecture.

That must happen a lot, I thought. It was the ‘racing snake’ who had left the building, the only one to complete the mud run. So, fit as you like, muscles in his urine, yet he was still not quite all they were looking for. They were after people with that, but they had to have a bit extra as well, a bit of mental strength. It was a mental and physical breaking-down process. It was a means of getting the men that ‘might’ have the right stuff, onto the course.

I don’t remember how I dealt with this shocking piece of information. I think I let it just wash over me. It wouldn’t be me dealing with bombs and mines anyway, would it? If I did eventually pass, I would only be eighteen; they wouldn’t let me do anything like that. That would be a chief diver’s job, and they all looked about 50 to me. We weren’t at war with anyone and didn’t look like we were going to be. And anyway, didn’t we have minehunters, minesweepers? If we did find anything, wouldn’t we just blow it up? It wouldn’t be like the old black-and-white war movies, sitting alongside a bomb trying to defuse it, would it now?

I had no idea then how wrong I was.

I took a bit of time to look around at my assembled trainee accomplices. Some were a lot bigger than me, tougher looking, and a good deal older. How was I going to bear up against this lot? They all had thick, black mud in their hair, in their ears, everywhere. I didn’t realise I was as bad myself until I got back to my class and spent an hour in the shower.

Just as I started to settle in the classroom, the chief diver shouted, ‘AWKWARD!’ and we ran outside into the rain and started getting into our dry suits again. There was no way any pair could dress each other in less than two minutes. I and my partner did manage to get it down to just over three, though I couldn’t see how it could possibly be done any quicker. The chief didn’t seem to think that was very good and made his feelings known by giving us ‘a little run in the mud’, as he put it.

By 5 p.m., I was shattered, completely drained, but my spirits rose when the four of us left were told to come back the next aptitude day, a week later. Crikey, I’m virtually there. They gave me all they had and I took it, I was ‘meant’ to be a diver. The four of us were invited back for ‘diver training 2’. We were given a sheet of paper with ‘DIVER SIGNALS’ written on it and were told to learn them by next week. Hey, maybe we’ll be going diving then?
-------------------------

What I'm trying to say here is, if you go in with the attitude, "OH I'll give it a go if not, I'll do something else." You'll fail.
My advice is get fit and give it a go. But give it your best shot. It's only pain and it's illegal to kill you! It is the best branch in all the forces and you'll love it.

Tony Groom

DIVER DIVER. A diving book. Diving, scuba, saturation, a life under water.

Amazon.co.uk: Diver: Tony Groom: Books

If you choose to enlist, thank you and your family for serving us.
BUT! get everything in writing up front... Keep a copy yourself is a safe secure location of EVERYTHING.

The recruiters will tell you many things to get you in... If you can't prove what was agreed or offered you to enlist, your pretty much stuck.

For as hard as you will work and a little as you will be paid, you could probably work a few fast food jobs durring the day, a janitor job at night and end up with more money to college in the end.

Thats not really why one joins the service though...

Just be careful...

My Father went into the Navy and was supposed to be trained as an Aircraft mechanic. They LOST his paperwork and he ended up in the belly of a destroyer working on the engines.

One of my buddies went into the Navy and they told him when signing up that he could try out for SEALS, it was in his paperwork. After his physical and what not they still told him he could try out for seals. Once he was on site and in his training facility... they told him. Listen, your left handed and color blind... You got 2 options, you can be a cook or a clerk, period.

Needless to say my buddy Jason was crushed. He mentioned that his recruitment contract specificaly said he would be allowed to try out for the teams... The Navy then LOST his paperwork... Jason talked to his Mom about it who proceeded to call a few people on the Navy and ended up getting Jason a lot of SPECIAL attention that he would have preffered to miss out on.

He started doing his own digging for his LOST paperwork and they managed to locate a microfish copy that was missed when the paperwork was LOST. Armed with this His Mother started calling Senators and was trying to get ahold of Bush Senior... Jason was already getting more attention then he knew what to do with from his commanding officers. Finally it came to a head and with the proof of his contract... They offered a consession to him... If you agree to become a cook and get you mother to stop calling the president hourly... we'll send you to A school for cooking training... So bla bla bla Jason ends up a the personal chef for the Captain of the Nimitz for a few years. Never getting to dive or even touch a wet suit.

So yes your observation about not actually getting to do what you want in the service is correct... It is NOT in your control.

Now if what you want is to be a diver by trade... There are a number of companies they will pay you to learn to be an underwater welder or other dive related industry jobs. They are hard, cold, wet work but they are supposed to pay well and keep you as wet as you want to be. You'll learn how to dive dry suits with full helms and see a lot of cool haitats off drill rigs in your career.

Weigh your options and follow your dreams... if your hard headed enough you'll find a way to fullfill them.

I've been having trouble finding reliable information about how to become a military diver. It seems like once you enlist, the job you get depends on a lot of things outside of your control. And once you're trained to be a diver, it doesn't sound like you actually spend allot of time in the water. If this is all true, then I don't want to join, but if it isn't then Military diving sounds like the perfect job for me. Does anyone have any good information, or advise for me?

PS what about the Coast Guard. I'd love to be a Coastie but it doesn't seem like diving can be your main job.

Hello Max. Just so that you know. The Army also has divers also. There are a few routes that can be taken with their dive training. 21D engineer or SOG. If you go the SOG route (special ops) you can ask for a Option 40 which is a written gaurentee to try out for the Ranger school and Q school. My son is in the USCG and is attending the AST (rescue swimmer) school now. The DOR rate in the AST school is around the 50 percent area. The AST's are not divers. They are rescue swimmers and EMT's. However, the USCG does have divers also. Both of these rates will require a SF86 for you'll need a security clearance, so you will need a somewhat descent credit rating and no felonies. My son had worked out for 1 year solid with swimming, running , push ups, sit ups and pull ups. Even with his A school and all of the working out, he is still struggling. You have to go in with the attidtude that you will never quit no matter what. Also, I would suggest what ever branch that you go out for, study for the ASVAP before taking the test. All of these rates/mos are very sought after and there are min. needed scores in order to obtain a slot for these schools. I am not sure where you are living, but if you call your local USCG station or go here United States Coast Guard - Home Page
, they will let you know where the nearest Air Station or boat station is and you can visit and ask questions of the AST's or divers.

FAQ's

Coast Guard Diving Programhttp://usmilitary.about.com/z/js/o....itary.about.com/od/coastguard/a/uscgdiver.htm

Hey Max,

Here is some more information on Army diving:

armydiver : Army Diver OOB / 21D

You may also want to investigate Navy Sea-Bee diving, these two options will give you the most bottom time regardless of duty station.

You can enlist in the Army or the Navy as a diver, it is in your contract (the training at least) if you make it then diver will be your trade (MOS or Rate)

In the CG it is still an additional duty and for the most part SCUBA operations.

USMC, AF, and Army special operations also have divers but it is a combat / insertion tool not a trade.

If you have any questions let me know.

Jeff
jlane@rmediver.com

It cant be said enough, GET IT IN WRITING!!! if its not in your contract, its not in your future.

quote/
Air On
For as hard as you will work and a little as you will be paid, you could probably work a few fast food jobs durring the day, a janitor job at night and end up with more money to college in the end.

Thats not really why one joins the service though...quote/

where else can you turn $1200 into 18K +?
( i dont remember GI BILL #s off hand. but its a hell of a deal)

not to mention tuition assistance while enlisted. somtimes 100%

so save your GI bill for when your out and the educational benifits are impressive

truth be told people do join for the educational benifits. i have served with them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom