Military guy wanting to Dive Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munclematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. Need some info on Oki diving. I will be there on the 28 which is tomorrow and be there most likely until the 6th of december. I really really want to do some gnarly dives out there. I need full gear rental. All I brought was my computer and underwater camera. I will be close to the military base Kadnea. Any information on dive operator recommendations and gear for winter diving would be great. I have never needed to do a drysuit dive and would love to get it a shot. Thanks for all the help.

Info on diving experience:
50 dives in Guam and Hawaii. I've done wreck penatritons at 100 feet, shark dives and much more. I am Advanced/Nitrox and use a Back-inflate BC with a 3mm wetsuit. usally using 8 to 10 lbs. Thanks for any help

Matt Gonter

Matt,

It's been awhile for me. So you'll need to get dialed in by someone stationed on Okinawa.

But first, you're landing at Kadena AF Base.

One of the better places to dive (at least in the early 1980s) is Onna Point.

There used to be a dive shop near Onna Point that made custom fit wetsuits, but I do not know whether one is nearby now (nearly 25 years later).

If you're in the Marines, try calling the Dive Locker at Camp Hansen. Alternately, ask one of the senior enlisted guys wherever you're stationed to contact one of their buddies on Okinawa for more recent intel and contacts.

Having a guy with local knowledge is much safer. Knowledge of tides and currents is critical - plus a local guy can show you all the best spots.

Have fun - diving on Okinawa is fantastic, if you get to the right spots.

Be careful. Dive safe.

Doc

There are facilities for diving on the US bases that are only for US service people. It's really cheap by all accounts - much cheaper than civilian dive ops. As I'm not US service myself I can't help you with contacts - but I'm sure Kadena must have some information point that you can phone and find out all you need to know!

Okinawa diving is fantastic. Enjoy.

This is getting me too excited! I am looking forward to hitting this up. I am navy and i am going to be staying in a hotel right off base actually, but nothing that a walk to the Exchange cant fix. Is there anything i need to know about gear or the season i am diving in? Doc was saying the current, so i assume its like hawaii. What about gear. I am going to guess its going to be cold has hell there so i am think 5mm or 7mm. Thanks again for the great posts. i am going to give kadena a call when I get there. Been there a few times so hopefully this time will pull through for me. Thanks alot

actually I just ran into reef encounters and they look like the best. kadena AFB refered me to them so that might be good too.

Matt... we were there 01-04.. Hubby was stationed on Camp Kinser... we dove all over the place.. Definitely recommend Tsunami Gear.. if John is still with them, he'll probably on Hansen or Kinser... If you get in touch with him, he'll help you out with the gear.. he's very knowledgeable, and gave us great deals.. (Tell him Ryan & Monica Brady say hi!)

As far as dive sites.. .we LOVED Seragaki.. it's a great wall dive.. we saw spotted eagle rays among other great things... If you get the chance.. do a dive to the Kerama Islands... Tsunami on Kinser usually gets a group together with an Okinawan company where it's about 7500¥ for the boat ride & tanks.. you bring the rest of your gear and a lunch.. it was DIVINE!

Sunabe South is a great beginner dive.. to get used to the stuff there... we did Horseshoe.. it was pretty cool... The Junkyard is great for once you're used to the place, Kadena Steps is a lot of fun.. we did that one FREQUENTLY.. Maeda Point is very beautiful.. i'm not much for climbing rocks so it was a little difficult for me (DH didn't have any problems).. but it's very much worth it!

If you can get out to Ie Shima, it's BEAUTIFUL!

I'm working on my photo galleries.. i can show you a bunch of photos we took on our various dives.. .whatever you do... don't waste your time on Kinser Beach for dives.. it was the most disappointing one we ever did...

there's a book we had that we had.. i'll see if i can locate it.. it's in my garage somewhere... But it's great for describing the dives, and also telling you how to get to them!

as far as gear.. we dove Jan 2nd and wore our 2 piece suits.. they're 3ml each.. farmer john & long sleeve shortie... the temp was 72degF..
we did wear a hood... i recommend it..

In the summers.. the water at 60ft was still 80+ deg... we wore a .5ml skin to protect from coral, etc... but you very literally could dive in a bathing suit if you wished

also recommend the Whale Shark Dive thru Torii Scuba Locker too!!! we did that just before we left.. it was a dive to remember...

sorry.. i'm getting all nostalgic.. i miss diving in Okinawa!!

Where did you guys stay and how did you get to the boats? I just landed and realized there is a typhoon about to hit... so not to sure how much diving I will be getting in. well see though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom