Military guy wanting to Dive Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Typhoon???? where? Japan weather forecasts look pretty clear.....

But either way, Typhoons usually only last a few days at best

Yeah, its just to the east of Okinawa. It might be just a depression or something, but winds are up with rain and dark clouds. From what people were saying it passed through yesterday, but this is all hear say.

You might have caught the edge of the one that just went through the Philippines. Should be OK soon.

Where did you guys stay and how did you get to the boats? I just landed and realized there is a typhoon about to hit... so not to sure how much diving I will be getting in. well see though.

we lived on Camp Kinser for 3 years... the boats were in naha port... but i hear you can catch them at Torii too... Where will you be stationed?

well i am staying at the Beach Hotel in naha for a few days then moving to another place not to sure were. I got hooke up with Otis from reef encounters and they seem good. He gave me a good deal and they do hotel pickups which i am going to need. Post some pics when I get done diving tomorrow. Not too sure where yet, but I will let you know.

Wish I would have seen this post before! I live on Okinawa!

There are dive shops on virtually all of the bases here on island. Kadena Marina offers regular boats to both the Kerama islands and a dive shop a few kilometers off shore called "the Pinnacles". Both are great trips.

Torii offers the whale shark dive which is something that simply has to be seen!

Tsunami gear (on Kinser, Foster, Courtney, Hansen, and Schwab) have dive training available. The one of Foster recently stated renting kayaks as well.

There are several Japanese companies that offer reasonable prices to get the Keramas. The ones that seem the most accomodating for Americans are SeaSir in Naha and Island Message in Chatan.

With the dates listed, this is too late but maybe for the next trip...

Also, Seragaki is closed down for now. They have been doing a lot of work there and you can't drive out to the island right now. Onna is still good but was closed off for about a month a few months back... Maeda has been changed dramatically with a new restaurant/rest center where the old parking lot was, a larger parking lot, and stairs all the way down to the water level now. And, you have to pay to park now...

Seragaki is closed down for good. My uncle, who is a retired JP at Ishikawa and Kadena PD gave me the scoop. Onna should be open now. According to Gary Hagland the gates are open. I don't know if I would go this time of year but, it is open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom