Military Submarine Emergency Evacuation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KDrew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I understand that submarine personnel are able to compress in a chamber lock and don special suits to help them survive a superfast ascension and the wait to be rescued at the surface. Does anyone here know more about it? They probably can't make decompression stops.. Any idea how deep they can potentially escape from? I know it's a far out question but I thought I'd try it anyways. thanks

The Mark 10 Sub Escape Suit (pictured here) is still under evaluation by NSMRL. I expect a technical report will be available in the next year or so but I have not talked to Dave in several months. There have been a few updates published as UHMS abstracts. Some of the other references available in the search above should help with the depths that have been tested over the years.

Hope this helps!

(sorry that I don't have the abstract collection up to date, I'll try to catch up over the next few weeks)

Haha awesome! Ya I did find some articles on the Mark 10 suit and they all say it's made to be deployed from 600 ft-up. I certainly didn't expect to get this much valuable documentation, thanks! I will certainly look into these.

There is no need for deco stops, the sub is at 1ATM so they are not at pressure long enough to need deco. From a deco perspective, it's no different than the free divers who drop on the sled and return on one breath.
On the flip side, astronauts have to decompress before doing a space walk.

Per my submarine training courtesy of the US NAVY in Groton Connecticut, the maximum depth a free swimming buoyant ascent can be made from using the escape trunks with the current "Steinkie hoods" is 400 feet. With the amount of time it takes to equalize the escape chamber, open the hatch, swim out, and ascend it is expected that an attempt from any deeper will still result in decompression sickness. FYI most submarines pass the 400 foot depth curve within 8-12 hours of leaving port so as we always said "escape trunks are for wives and mothers to feel better" serves no practical purpose.

As of one year ago this was current issue onboard. I echo everything jacksatlanta said, but with these new SEIE suits the theoretical depth we can survive is deeper, although like jacks said it's not really a practical solution.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom