Mindless Reef Destruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes the Roatan Marine Park (.com)
has been contacted. The Marine Park has promised to follow up on this atrocity, but in reality they are out gunned. They are small, under manned, and underfunded, but doing the best they can with their resources. Whereas their "opponent" could easily buy half this island and the officials on it.
I would welcome any ideas on organizations or parties that would be interested in this case.
Thanks
TB

I would hope that the guy would respect the park once he is notified. I don't know why anybody, once made aware of the issue, would continue to do it? What's in it for him to destroy the reef of an island he's looking to invest in? Just because he can?

Sometimes I just don't understand humanity.

Wow. Nice yacht. I bet she'd make a great wreck dive, maybe something to consider next time they anchor on the reef.

This story is truely sickening. We had our first trip to Roatan last year and we just loved it. One of the things we appreciated the most was how healthy the reef was. Sea Quest was one of our favorite dives.

take some video, post it to youtube and post it on cnn's ireport site.

This a a great idea. The court of public opinion can be very powerful. If we can get a video of the destruction it could be spread over the internet and hopefully become viral. If word spreads enough and could gain some media attention then maybe this a-hole will do the right thing and donate to the park.

Truely sad news.

This story is truely sickening. We had our first trip to Roatan last year and we just loved it. One of the things we appreciated the most was how healthy the reef was. Sea Quest was one of our favorite dives.

This a a great idea. The court of public opinion can be very powerful. If we can get a video of the destruction it could be spread over the internet and hopefully become viral. If word spreads enough and could gain some media attention then maybe this a-hole will do the right thing and donate to the park.

Truely sad news.

That's a great idea. Get videos of the destruction up on the internet along with the guy's name, boat name, and preferably a way to contact him or his business.

Last edited:
Before we make Mr. Bailleres walk the plank, ultimately the boat captain is the culpable party. Does anyone know if Bailleres is even aware of this incident? From an action stand point, I think our people should contact his people and see if we can get a statement from him. I doubt he reads scuba board. Ya never know, maybe a few million in the form of a donation to the marine park. I would also like to see a statement from the Marine park as to what they are doing about this incident. Most divers are supporting the organization and it would be nice to know they are being re-active to these types of destruction.

Several years ago a cruise ship took out part of the reef and actually ended up rebuilding the reef at enormous cost. I just heard this story from PJ at Coconut divers a few weeks ago.

Bruce

For what ever it is worth, here is an environmental policy from Penoles. Bailleros is the chairman of the board.

Industrias Peñoles > Environmental Policy

I have sent the following email to the media relations of this company.

To: Mr. Alberto Bailleres

During the week of March 12th 2009 Mr. Bailleres' yacht, the Mayan Queen, was anchored off the coast of Roatan Honduras. During this anchorage, extensive damage was done to the reef. This reef is part of a protected marine park. Scuba diving is a large portion of the economics on this small island.

Mr.Bailleres' is being portrayed as irresponsible on many local discussion boards and throughout the dive industry in whole. I for one have defended his culpability, as maybe he is unaware of this incident.

I write this letter in hopes of it reaching Mr. Bailleres and a statement from him, as to his intentions to rectify the damage his ship has done to the reef. Furthermore, his captain is ultimately responsible and I can only pray that this is an isolated incident and not a total disregard to his responsibility as a good steward of our oceans and reefs.

FYI

Mayan Queen | Blohm & Voss, Recent Launches, Tim Heywood |

i saw the mayan queen at biterend in virgin gorda las week
REINALDO | 14.04.09 - 4:51 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much to the delight and praise of the local real estate agents, Roatan was visited by dedicated Mexican yachtsman Albert Bailleres on his very impressive yacht the Mayan Queen during the week of March 12th. Impressive may be an understatement. The 74 year old billionaire, who’s inherited wealth (5+ billion dollars) originating from logging and mining enterprises, has purchased one beautiful boat. The 300 foot yacht created quite an impressive sight cruising by West End, here on Roatan, awing onlookers with its obvious elegance and luxury.
The Mayan Queen, whose owner Alberto may have been on board, was observed maneuvering in the area of the local dive site “Seaquest”, well within the protected waters of the Roatan Marine Park. The Marine Park, was established to preserve and protect the delicate ecosystem of the barrier reef, and enhance the diving and tourist activities that are so important to the economy of this poor country, and allows no anchoring of any kind within its jurisdiction. There by helping to insure the health of the reef, and the opportunity for viewing and enjoying it now, and in future generations.
It is hard to describe the emotions felt upon witnessing the destruction of the coral reef by the anchor of the Mayan Queen. The shock, nausea, horror, and dismay of seeing 5m wide path 200m long, starting in a shallow sand patch and plowing through the wall of the centuries old barrier reef. Destruction abounds. This section of the barrier reef now resembles a building demolition site, with concrete like rubble strewn in big blocks along the anchors merciless path. The devastation of the ancient reef has uprooted coral, ruined precious habitat, and destroyed sponges as old as the avid yachtsman himself.
It is hard to imagine that the pilot of such a magnificent yacht as the Mayan Queen, could be so inept in his task, and so self righteous as to ignore Honduran Law and the regulations of Roatan Marine Preserve. What possible reason could a person have for taking such illegal actions piloting one of the top twenty yachts in the world, who’s outfitting, equipment, and instrumentation must resemble that of the Space Shuttle?
So, thank you Alberto Bailleres for letting us view your magnificent boat, and leaving a dying legacy here on Roatan’s reef. I personally would invite you to sail long and proud, within the borders of your home country, where your blatant disregard for local laws may be returned in kind.

For what ever it is worth, here is an environmental policy from Penoles. Bailleros is the chairman of the board.

Industrias Peñoles > Environmental Policy

I have sent the following email to the media relations of this company.

To: Mr. Alberto Bailleres

During the week of March 12th 2009 Mr. Bailleres' yacht, the Mayan Queen, was anchored off the coast of Roatan Honduras. During this anchorage, extensive damage was done to the reef. This reef is part of a protected marine park. Scuba diving is a large portion of the economics on this small island.

Mr.Bailleres' is being portrayed as irresponsible on many local discussion boards and throughout the dive industry in whole. I for one have defended his culpability, as maybe he is unaware of this incident.

I write this letter in hopes of it reaching Mr. Bailleres and a statement from him, as to his intentions to rectify the damage his ship has done to the reef. Furthermore, his captain is ultimately responsible and I can only pray that this is an isolated incident and not a total disregard to his responsibility as a good steward of our oceans and reefs.

This is the way to get things started here, hopefully if nothing else you will get a response back from someone. as for walking the plank i dont belive any one was actually out for blood, although the thought of diving the Mayan Queen was a nice one.

Please post any response that you receive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom