Mineral oil filled IPOD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad news- Hard drives have tight clearances and low power motors. If your ipod has a hard drive or any other moving parts and is not hermetically sealed, the viscous drag of even the lightest oil on earth will interfere with its operation.

A person could use a shuffle, touch, or nano as they are solid state. (No moving parts.) However, I am with the people who suggest you do not listen to music while diving. I guess during a deco stop would be fine. It is ultimately you choice though.

I am fortunate in that I can listen to my iPod while driving to the dive site and I can listen to music at work. So I am already listening to music 20 to 50 hours a week. I can handle being away from music while I am underwater.

Yea, this has turned into more of a challenge to see if I can do it now. I probably won't use it much. Initially I thought about for long deco stops, since I am about to begin my tech classes, but I just want to see if I can do it now.

It still remains a question as to whether touch controls would function while underwater.

The best way to approach this is to make a waterproof housing, leading the earphone cord out through a small hole in the housing and thoroughly sealing the hole with silicone or similar. The earphones and housing would now be permantly attached. To use, the unit would be plugged in, turned on and cued up to start, then dropped into the housing, just before diving.

Given the size of these a tiny pelican box or one of those cigarette boxes would be perfect.

One minor detail, make sure that the unit's output is sufficient to drive the underwater earphones, which I'm sure aren't as efficient as the typical ones used with ipods.

BTW- for better or (more likely) worse, it's probably only a matter of time before someone decides to produce an underwater device like this, they'll probably call it "diveman" or "Upod".

Our days of peace and quiet underwater are limited and some will probably find another use for the scissors they carry on dives.

i'd rather watch a buddy listen to music than have to hear one of those stupid quackers. :rolleyes:

... it's probably only a matter of time before someone decides to produce an underwater device like this, they'll probably call it "diveman" or "Upod".
Wouldn't that be uPod? :)

I'm with the camp that advocates listening to the ambient sounds.

BTW- for better or (more likely) worse, it's probably only a matter of time before someone decides to produce an underwater device like this, they'll probably call it "diveman" or "Upod".

iDive 300 :: Dive Products :: H2O Audio

It's already here, luckily most divers can find a better way to spend $350.

Bad news- Hard drives have tight clearances and low power motors. If your ipod has a hard drive or any other moving parts and is not hermetically sealed, the viscous drag of even the lightest oil on earth will interfere with its operation.

AND if the hard drive IS sealed adequately, the pressure transmitted by the oil will deform the case enough to slow, bind, or ruin the hard drive.

all my music plays in my head. It's just hard to turn off the shuffle feature or remove McDonald's jingles from the playlist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom