Mini pressure guages ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using these for years. They are pretty darn solid and reliable. And only $15.

Mini-SPG { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

I use them on all my deco/bail out cylinders.

I used to use them on my back mount tank regulators as well, since I have AI transmitters on all of those. But, I took the button gauges off and now only use AI for my primary breathing gas (BM single, BM doubles, SM, and even my CCR). No SPGs of any type (other than AI transmitters) on any of those.

Having the button gauge on my main breathing gas meant a few things:

- the button gauge was a potential snag hazard.
- the button gauge was a potential failure point. Not likely, but more likely than a port plug.
- the button gauge allowed me to assemble my rig and verify "cylinder(s) full" without having to pull out my computer and turn it on.

That last point is what sealed the deal for taking the button gauges off. I WANT to have to pull my computer out when I assemble my rig.

First, it ensures that I didn't forget my computer and leave it in my truck, only to figure that out after the boat is already well offshore. When I assemble my rig to make it ready for diving, I get out my computer and turn it on to verify tank pressure. Then I will attach my computer(s) to my BCD harness somewhere, so that it stays with my rig until I actually put it on my wrist. That way, it doesn't matter whether I assemble my rig on shore and carry it onto a boat, or carry the pieces to the boat and assemble it there. Either way, once it is ready to dive, I can move it anywhere and not have to worry about forgetting to bring my computer.

Second, it ensures that my AI is working - again, before I leave the dock. If I assemble my rig on a boat and just look at a button pressure gauge, then I don't know if my AI transmitter battery is dead or if my computer battery is dead, or whatever.

Just do remember that if you're not about to splash, turn your gas off and depressurize your reg(s) after you check everything. Otherwise, the AI transmitter stays on the whole time (e.g. while on the boat ride out to the dive site) and runs the AI battery down prematurely.

A tiny gauge is a snag hazard but an AI transmitter is not? You think that little gauge has a larger chance of damage/failure than a transmitter? I stopped using a hose and a normal SPG a long time ago. The little port gauges last years if you don't smash them on the garage floor.

Mini gauge on the drysuit bottle. Never looked at during a dive. Just a confirmation that it is about full, or full enough for another dive, or needs topped off. Don't care about exact readings. Off by several hundred PSI is fine for what I need it for.

A real gauge with hose adds a bunch of stuff that has no value in a dive. Just plugging it makes checking the pressure (between dives) a huge pain with having to depressurize the reg, take it off, put a pressure checker on, reverse procedure. So button gauge it is.

A tiny gauge is a snag hazard but an AI transmitter is not? You think that little gauge has a larger chance of damage/failure than a transmitter? I stopped using a hose and a normal SPG a long time ago. The little port gauges last years if you don't smash them on the garage floor.

I generally orient my 1st stage so the transmitter is pointed down (or down-ish). In doubles, that means it is pointed almost straight down at the tank. Totally NOT a snag hazard. And, with the transmitter there, the only other HP port is pointed up. So, yes, a snag hazard.

Plus, I NEED one SPG. I don't need 2. So, for my one, I choose an AI transmitter. Adding a button gauge would be adding a second SPG - for no good reason.

There is no such thing as a mini pressure guage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom