Mini-season question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm renting a boat during the mini-season this year and I'm gonna have 5 people on board (3 diving for lobsters)...

is it illegal to buy 5 licenses, but only have 3 divers, and catch the limit for everyone on board?

thanks!

Jack

I'm renting a boat during the mini-season this year and I'm gonna have 5 people on board (3 diving for lobsters)...

is it illegal to buy 5 licenses, but only have 3 divers, and catch the limit for everyone on board?

thanks!

Jack

I am assuming you are going to be here in Fl.
In that case yes it would be illegal as I understand it.

The spiny lobster sport season will fall on July 30th and 31st for 2008. The bag limits are 6 per person per day for Monroe County and Biscayne National Park, and 12 per person per day for the rest of Florida. The possession limit on the water is equal to the daily bag limit, and off the water is equal to the daily bag limit on the first day, and double the daily bag limit on the second day. Possession limits are enforced on and off the water. Spiny lobster has a minimum size limit that must be larger than 3" carapace, measured in the water. A reminder that possession and use of a measuring device is required at all times, and night diving is prohibited in Monroe County (only during the sport season). A recreational saltwater license and a crawfish permit are needed for harvest. Regular spiny lobster season is August 6 through March 31. The bag limit is 6 per person per day. Harvest of lobster is prohibited in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park during the sport season. Harvest is also prohibited during both the 2-day sport season and regular season in Everglades National Park, Dry Tortugas National Park, and no take areas in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.

Call (305) 852-7717 or visit http://floridakeys.noaa.gov for information about no take areas in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Please call the FWC Key West office at (305) 292-0311 or click here for lobster harvesting regulations for Monroe County. Recreational trapping of lobster is prohibited.

Pm sent for an idea so any police that might see this wont get upset.

Last edited:
Anyone under 16 does not need a license there for if you have kids on board they can lobster without a license. Everyone else must have a license on board. STIFF fines for offenders here in the Keys be careful. You have a 95% chance you will be checked by FWC.

thanks!

Jack

In a word, yes.

but if we have 3 divers, we can dive and bring back only 18 lobsters (in case the FWC is waiting on us)

then deposit the 18 lobsters in the cooler, then do another dive and catch only 12 (therefore everyone has their limit, and they won't know who dived the first time, or the second)...

right?

Here's the way I interpret it.....Can the non-divers on your boat put on a mask? Can they obtain a license from FWC? Could they "possibly" be free-diving for bugs? If so, then I don't see a problem with 5 people being in possession of a 5-person limit.

Matter of fact, the last 2 years my buddy's son has gone with us (under 16 years of age) and harvested lobster freediving. Both years we've been stopped by FWC with full limits and had no problem.

But, here's your best bet! As soon as you enter Key Largo, there will be a slew of dive shops on your right hand side. FWC will have an information booth set up and real live officers will be there to clarify any questions you may have. Best to go straight to the source, no???

Not to be harsh, but instead of trying to cheat the system, just go to the store and buy frozen lobster tails. You're probably going to end up freezing a bunch of the tails you get anyway.

Lots of people get there limit head in and go right back out. I have yet to be asked who got what on the boat.
I could just see them asking which ones are yours :11: Oh mine looks like the twin of that one.:rofl3:

As long as you are within your limits on the boat and "everyone" is able to get in the water and has a license to hunt you are fine.

Don't ring the heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is will almost surely be take the wrong way since it is not really on topic but ,,,,,, if this is your first mini-season it would need to be said ...if you are renting a boat and have not navigated in this area before please be careful , the combination of way too many people in the water and an unfimilar area can be a bad combo.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
This is will almost surely be take the wrong way since it is not really on topic but ,,,,,, if this is your first mini-season it would need to be said ...if you are renting a boat and have not navigated in this area before please be careful , the combination of way too many people in the water and an unfimilar area can be a bad combo.

Well said. Not to mention the current over there. The combination could be leathal. Use your head and keep safety above all else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom