Mini Season Toll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bit off topic, but how many times a week are y'all asked "OMG you dive, aren't you afraid of sharks?" I don't see a single shark fatality on DiveBee's list, but I could EIGHT people injuried or killed by BOATS.

My answer to the people who ask if I'm afraid of sharks? "Heck no...I'm afraid of the BOATS!!!"

# On July 30, Norman Williams Jr., 60, became the fifth diving accident victim during Florida's lobster mini-season after he was hit by a boat near Key West.
# On July 30, Bruce Ellwood Cook, 58, became the fourth diving accident victim during Florida's lobster mini-season.
# On July 30, Scott Schichtel, 39, became the third diving accident victim during Florida's lobster mini-season.
# On July 29, Shane Slusarz, 36, became the second diver to die during lobster mini-season.
# On July 29, Daniel Pochedley, 48, of Sarasota, was found dead about an hour after disappearing near Haulover Beach on the first day of lobster mini-season.
# On July 24, the U.S. Coast Guard airlifted David Baptist, 57, to Florida Hospital after he resurfaced with signs of potentially fatal decompression sickness.
# On July 23, a 57-year-old woman was rushed to hospital after she resurfaced from a dive to 18 meters with symptoms of potentially fatal decompression sickness.
# Also on July 23, a 38-year-old man was rushed to hospital after he started spitting up blood following a dive off Pompano Beach.
# On July 19, Lana Gandert, 58, of Edison, Ohio, died while snorkel diving with her husband and two sons at Sand Key Light, Florida.
# On July 17, popular elementary school teacher, David Sheppard, 60, of Cross City, died while diving off Steinhatchee, Florida, after he was hit by a boat.
# On July 16, Michael Manna, 46, apparently drowned five days after he married while snorkel diving at DuBois Park, Florida.
# On July 12, Craig Winnerman, 48, was rescued after his boat drifted away in strong winds while he was scuba diving alone near Dunedin Reef, Florida.
# On July 10, Richard Losz, 37, died off Hollywood, Florida, while scuba diving alone.
# On July 7, Daniel Goepel, 29, of Coral Springs died while snorkel diving off the Dolphin dive boat at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo.
# On July 5, two more divers who were diving off Hollywood, Florida, were hospitalized after they were hit by a speed boat.
# On July 4, searchers found the body of 31-year-old Darren Rordan who died while scuba diving off Manatee County, Florida.
# On June 8, the Coast Guard airlifted Bill Nelson, 55, to Shands Hospital for emergency medical treatment of potentially fatal decompression sickness (the bends) after a scuba diving accident off Tampa, Florida.
# On June 4, William Husic Jr, 61, a chemical engineer who resides in Brighton, died while snorkel diving at Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys.
# On May 30, Robert A. Jones, 38, of Zephyrhills, died while solo free diving in a cave at Blue Spring State Park, Florida.
# On May 10, Timothy Allen, 52, and Paula Allen, 48, were rescued off Hernando Beach, Florida, after drifting in the ocean for nearly 24 hours. The couple were swept away from their boat while scuba diving in strong currents.
# On May 5, NOAA research diver, Dewey Smith, 36, died while diving at the Aquarius underwater laboratory in the Florida Keys.
# On May 3, searchers recovered the body of Michael McQuillen, 29, of Lakeland, who disappeared the day before while scuba diving with friends west of John's Pass, Florida.
# On April 12, Mary Darnley, a 58-year-old retired nurse from Pennsylvania who had recently learned to dive, died while scuba diving with her husband off Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Florida.
# On March 20, a man in his 40s who was scuba diving off the Emerald Dive Charters boat, was rushed to hospital for treatment of potentially fatal decompression sickness (the bends).
# On February 18, Joseph Diver, 66, was rushed to hospital after a boat struck him while he was scuba diving at Pickles Reef in the Florida Keys.
# On January 11, two women in their 20s were rushed to Boca Raton Community Hospital after a boat hit them off Boca Raton, Florida.
# On January 10, Rob Murphy, 26, lost both legs after a hit and run boat struck him while he was scuba diving near Sandsprit Park, Florida.

Diver Down Flag Awareness anybody??

Diver Down Flag Awareness anybody??

Yeah, the big problem seems to be that a lot of times boaters ignore dive flags (even when they know what they are). Some are even attracted to these curious floaters in the water and come in closer to investigate.

Where I live if you dive the lakes the jet skiers will use your flag as an object to practice high speed turns. Some boaters have even stolen the flag and reel right out of a friends hand and no one ever gets caught. But surface 1 foot outside the flag area and you get a ticket. Looks like the proper agency needs to crack down on boaters and jet skiers. I have not noticed it that bad on the gulf coast. Yet that is.

Yeah, the big problem seems to be that a lot of times boaters ignore dive flags (even when they know what they are). Some are even attracted to these curious floaters in the water and come in closer to investigate.

The marine patrol had a seminar at the spearfishing seminar.

Guess who they catch running their boats near divers.

Other divers are some of the biggest offenders. Seems they like to run down the same reef lines that other divers like to dive on.

The word was, go out, go over, and come back in to your dive site. Don't run down the reef line. Of course every idiot in town that can't use a compass is going to run right down that color change, using it like a north-south highway.

T
Guess who they catch running their boats near divers.

Other divers are some of the biggest offenders.

That's just inexcusable :shakehead: I've had an anchor drop not 10 feet from me recently, and it's not something I want to experience again.

So have I.. and they dropped it between two groups of divers. And have seen prop wash at least 3 times when looking directly up, and saw the shadow of a boat pass overhead (was wearing a hood... didn't hear the boat)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom