MINIMUM Depth to Log Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talonraid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the MINIMUM depth requirement to "legally" log a dive after OW training? I couldn't find the answer to this question, although there is plenty of discussion as to "how deep" or "maximum depths" for divers both during and after certification (still a point of discussion that I find humorous).

I watched two "grown" men (PADI instructors) almost come to blows over this topic last week at a LDS.

While the different agencies may require different minimum depths for the OW cert, that's not what I'm asking, so save those posts please. I couldn't find the answer to this question in my SSI books, this board or even a websearch. I hear people argue that it must be over 15 feet, 20 feet, 5 meters, etc. But, where is that written? Is it all just anectdotal information passed from one diver to another? Or, is there an actual written document or regulation that spells it out?

There are some great challenging dives in my area that never go beyond about 20 feet in the deepest areas. Does that mean a diver can't log it but if he or she went to glassy smooth water somewhere else with no current and dipped below 21 feet or some other magic number it could go in the log book?

Cheers.

If it's a dive to you, log it. Simple.

A logbook is not a legal document. It's your diary, do what you want.

I log even my pool training dives and they are only max depth of 15 ft..... A log book is simply a way to remember YOUR dives.

I heard there was no depth requirement, just needed to be underwater for 20 min. or longer..............

The "generally accepted" definition of a "loggable" dive is 15 feet for 15 minutes, in something other than a swimming pool...
However -
There are certainly many situations where shallower and/or shorter dives "count." For example, a body extraction from a submerged car counts, regardless of depth or time spent doing it.
The bottom line is as has been mentioned above - it is your log - diary - of your diving. You decide what goes in it and what doesn't, and no one else's opinion really matters.
Rick

As was said, it's YOUR logbook, do with it what you will...

That said, my personal "style" is to log any "open water" dive, for me that means anything not in a pool.

Of course, if I ever were to become a DM or instructor (not that I want too right now, just for example's sake), I would probably log instrucional pool dives just so that I had a "work record" for my personal use.

Having said all that... I should note that I have some "notebook" paper at the back of my log, that I use to write down some of the info for pool dives (weight's, special equipment), this is just for my own personal use for looking at how much lead I may or may not need for a paricular dive, or to write myself personal reminders about equipment I was practicing with (read: playing with LOL).

I also have a sep. page of notebook paper in the back that I use to write down when I've had my equipment serviced, again just for my use since my memory doesn't want to work :)

Hope that helps!

Just go ahead and log any expereince you get. As mentioned consider it's your diary of diving. Divng well in shallow water can be challenging especially with a lot of neoprene, any depth change will result in a greater % swing in buoyancy so it's not like it's a trivial feat.

If anyone ever needs to review your log for any reason they can always disallow a dive but who cares, you'll have pleny of others to illustrate your experience.

Pete

dsteding:
I believe Sparticle logs his bathtub dives, just look at his avatar.:D
I'm not sure they count as dives if I can't get my head underwater. :( :(

In all seriousness, I've logged a 4-minute dive before. Max depth 15ft, avg. 11ft. I logged it specifically because I wanted to remember the experience. I was borrowing a friend's set of double LP95s to try with my new Agir 38lbs doubles wing. I got in and as soon as I tried to hover, the tanks almost face-planted me into the bottom of the quarry. My buddy was having a fun time laughing at me as I was doing loop-de-loops...:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom