MINIMUM Depth to Log Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
If it's a training dive, there is a minimum depth before it can be counted. If it's counting towards a minimum number of diver for a particular certification, there's a minimum depth before it can be counted, but any dive can be logged.

Alright now maybe we're about to get somewhere.....what is the requirement for whatever particular certification you're alluding to in this statement? Once more, I can see where a "Deep dive" during AOW would have a written depth limit or some other specifice course might have a dictated depth during training. But, lets just say it's someone going for DiveCon/DM or Instructor. Is there a minimum depth for them to log a dive counting towards their total dive count? If so, where is that requirement written?

ClayJar:
Okay, let me try...There. That seems like a logical answer. :wink:

(Okay, I just wanted to say "HEAR YE!"... :D)

YES! I Hear Ye... er Thou or is it Thy?

That is too funny! I like it. A quote direct from the book of ClayJar! The first useful book on religion, or SCUBA diving.

talonraid:
Alright now maybe we're about to get somewhere.....what is the requirement for whatever particular certification you're alluding to in this statement? Once more, I can see where a "Deep dive" during AOW would have a written depth limit or some other specifice course might have a dictated depth during training. But, lets just say it's someone going for DiveCon/DM or Instructor. Is there a minimum depth for them to log a dive counting towards their total dive count? If so, where is that requirement written?

Actually no. But IMO there should be. I have run into DM's and instructor's from less than scrupulous instructors and instructor trainers who told them to even log pool sessions towards dive counts for the rating so they could get their money. I keep a seperate log for pool sessions with student names, times, problems run into, and solutions that is seperate from my dive log. As of now I have over 160 hours in the pool with students from jr ow to discover scuba's to rescue and DM scenarios. Even though the pool is 12 ft deep none of this counts towards my dive time totals. For ow I'll log a training dive that is 15 minutes or more where the depth exceeded 20 ft with students. There are times when dealing with students that say in a rescue class I may have descended 2 or 3 times in order to allow a student to "recover my unconscious body". In this case even though I've surfaced up to 3 times from 30 ft or so and the whole scenario takes a total of 30 minutes I log it as one dive with a bottom time of 15 and note what it was for. Although we did have one DM candidate whose computer was set to start another dive after as little as a one minute SI. He logged the same type of scenario as 3 dives with bottom times of 8 minutes, 4 minutes and 3 minutes. This to me is ridiculous. The shallowest dive I have logged was a personal training dive for my own experience and skill where the max depth was 22 ft. Of course it was a buoyancy control exercise that lasted 38 minutes to burn off a tank and I practiced holding stops at 20, 15, 10, and 6 ft in a horizontal position while clipping and unclipping gear, removing and replacing my mask, and a few other things. To me this counted as a dive.

My log is to record that which I find important. Sometimes, that is totally unrelated to depth/time/conditions etc...
For example, one "dive" that I learned the most from was one in which we never got under the surface. My partner suffered a fatal aneurism just after entering the water and my entire time in the water was spent getting him back aboard the boat. Did I log this as a dive? You can bet your c-card I did. I learned some hard lessons that day, and I'll record the experience as a dive if I want.
As for depth and such, again it's irrelevant. I once spent a half hour scouring the bottom searching for lost dental work. The deepest we got was about 8 feet. I logged that as a dive, too, because we learned a lot about how to conduct a search for such a small item. By the way, we found it!
To me, the log is a learning tool. Use it as you choose.

talonraid:

It's in the standards for the particular agency. They probably differ from one agency to another. Some agencies also have a minimum time, although most leave an out if they've used so many cu ft of air. I don't have standards in front of me, but I believe YMCA's standards specify 15 feet for 15 minutes, I don't remember the cu ft of air allowed to bypass the 15 minutes, as I would never use that loop hole. I believe many agencies use 60 feet as the minimum depth for a deep dive in AOW.

It depends on the reason you're logging dives. If you're logging for memory/enjoyment reasons log anything you want.
If you plan on professional level training (Dm and up) I'd suggest you stick with the requirements listed for training situations: min depth 15' OR 2/3 of the tank used.

I'm not sure there should be a hard line drawn that defines a 'dive'.

For example, I recently logged a dive at Stingray City and that was 40 minutes long, however only 13-14 feet. Totally awesome dive, though, and I wouldn't exclude it from my log just because it was really shallow.

Just my .02 :)

Spady

rottielover:
Is that like "File 13" in accounting? :)
No, no... there are several gallon ziplocks full of pages from years past in there. It's a pretty big drawer...
Rick :D

It's called: Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. Personally, I think anytime you strap on a tank and regulator, put that regulator in your mouth, submerge and breathe, you are using a Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus to sustain your life. You are SCUBA diving. The only related activities underwater are snorkeling, holding your breath or drowning.

Back
Top Bottom