Minor DCS type 2 case possible? What happens if untreated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a deep dive in cold water on Saturday (40m, according to my computer I didn't violate NDL) and ~24h later I drove my car in the mountains (~1000m). Later, I felt pain in my knees, which disappeared in a day. (BTW, warm bath relieved the pain)
Another day later I felt pain in one finger joint (Carpometacarpal joint).

The interesting aspect is, that none of my large joints (hips, shoulders) are affected, but the ones that are more exposed to cold water.

Can it be a mild DCS type I?
In 3 days all symptoms disappeared. Shall I still contact a doctor?

Of course in the mountains I didn't have oxygen ready...

perhaps.......please be careful and avoid high altitudes post dives...i'm not a doctor but i think you will live to dive another day.

Certainly that depth can be associated with enough nitrogen to cause a risk of DCS, but the 24 hour delay in onset of symptoms is atypical. 1000 feet of elevation is not highly provocative, and the symptoms, per your history, did not correlate with your ascent, but were delayed after it. Mild symptoms relieved by warm bath are not typical for DCS pain, either. I think it is unlikely this was decompression-related. As the symptoms have resolved, it would be hard to improve your condition, and generally, after this much delay, treatment wouldn't be undertaken unless they were very severe, anyway.

Certainly that depth can be associated with enough nitrogen to cause a risk of DCS, but the 24 hour delay in onset of symptoms is atypical. 1000 feet of elevation is not highly provocative, and the symptoms, per your history, did not correlate with your ascent, but were delayed after it. Mild symptoms relieved by warm bath are not typical for DCS pain, either. I think it is unlikely this was decompression-related. As the symptoms have resolved, it would be hard to improve your condition, and generally, after this much delay, treatment wouldn't be undertaken unless they were very severe, anyway.

good info from a reliable source, although the altitude in question is a little over 3000 feet. Not sure if this would change anything though.

The warm bath effect surprised me too. If there were bubbles that time, the situation should rather have worsened (gas expansion). nimoh is right, i drowe (for quite long, 2-3 hours) at 1000 meters (~3000feet).

Hello tamas 970:

The time line for your problem does not indicate it to be DCS. I suspect that you have soreness associated with the moving of dive gear. Individuals who are not in the best shape will find that soreness arrises from work. The other responders have roughly the same opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom