Mint Error Penny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
didn't find it diving, but I thought I could ask here.

We found a penny and the date printed on it is 197 and there is an S. Now you can clearly tell that the last number wasn't scratched off, it was never there.

Anybody have an idea where I could find the value of the penny? I googled it and only found someone that has a simular penny asking the same question that I am now, but he did't get an answer.

The only thing I know about coins is that three things give it value: Condition, condition, and condition.

How's the condition?

And, will we be seeing you on the Antique Road Show soon? :D

lol...Roger put it away...I'll have to get it out to say for sure, but for now I would say that it is a dark copper color and shows signs of regular wear.

JustLeesa - I will send your pm to a friend of mine. He is a coin dealer! See what we can find out. Will let you know, if anything.

By the way, if it is worth a lot you may have to send it to me so I can, you know, check it out :) :joke:

i couldnt tell you what its worth, but i wouldnt get excited.

the s means minted in san francisco, d is denver, no mark is philadelphia.

all pennies minted 1981 and before are copper and circulated ones would be darker.
their weight in copper is worth more than a penny (about 40% more) so tell all the kiddies to throw them in a jar.
i wish someone told me when i was a kid to save those silver quarters.

Hi. Me again. The following is what he said:

It happens all the time, something in the dye when the pennies are being printed interupts that last number from being printed. It's value is nothing more than 1 cent. Sorry.

:( Sorry. At least we know now.

justleesa:
dang and I was already planning my retirement! lol :D

Thanks for the input everybody!!

I was already counting my middle-man money. Bummer :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom