Closed: Mirrorless or entry level DSLR housing & camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EstaDive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy a mirrorless or entry level DSLR camera and housing. My main requirement is to have phase detect autofocus, so Nikon 1, Canon EOS M5/M6/M50, Fujifilm X-Pro2/X-T2/X-T20/X-H1/X-A5/X-E3, Olympus E-M1II, or Sony A6xxx/A7/A9/RX100, or any entry level DSLR.

I'm upgrading from an EOS-M, so EF systems I'm okay with body only, otherwise looking to buy camera, housing and lens.

Hi. I've got a Nikon 1 J1 with 10-30 lens and Nikon housing, all never used. I picked this up as a backup for my J1 setup, but found I never needed the backup. This setup performs really well, with blisteringly fast, accurate PDAF. I'll sell the whole thing including camera (white), 10-30, battery, charger, housing (still has the peel-off screen protector) with all accessories for $175 plus shipping from Hawaii, which ought to run around $20-25. Thanks.

Hi. I've got a Nikon 1 J1 with 10-30 lens and Nikon housing, all never used. I picked this up as a backup for my J1 setup, but found I never needed the backup. This setup performs really well, with blisteringly fast, accurate PDAF. I'll sell the whole thing including camera (white), 10-30, battery, charger, housing (still has the peel-off screen protector) with all accessories for $175 plus shipping from Hawaii, which ought to run around $20-25. Thanks.
Hi.... Could u please share images of the lot. Cheers

Before my last trip, I upgraded to a Sony A6000 and a Nauticam housing. For Wide Angle, I use the Sony 10-18mm lens (and the Nauticam 7inch dome). For dives where I could get a "little of everything", I use the 16-50mm kit lens. FWIW, I have been very happy with this set up.

Thanks! I looked at some of the pics and took a deeper look into the specs of the Nikon 1. I think this would be more of a lateral move from the EOS-M. Better housing and faster AF, but smaller sensor. I've missed so many shots due to AF on the EOS-M, that this would probably be a better set up. I'll keep looking for now, and get back to you if I don't find something more suited to my needs and the camera is still available.

Before my last trip, I upgraded to a Sony A6000 and a Nauticam housing. For Wide Angle, I use the Sony 10-18mm lens (and the Nauticam 7inch dome). For dives where I could get a "little of everything", I use the 16-50mm kit lens. FWIW, I have been very happy with this set up.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eye open for used A6000s.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eye open for used A6000s.
Based on my experience, any of the Sony A6xxx cameras would work. The A6300 and the A6500 are much better at video than the A6000 is if you prefer to shoot video rather than stills. Although I have personally never used it, Fantasea makes a very highly rated housing for the A6500.

Hi.... Could u please share images of the lot. Cheers
[/ATTACH] PC290444.JPG PC290445.JPG PC290446.JPG PC290448.JPG

I use a Nikon D800. My buddy uses a mirror less Sony. I call my DSLR, BoatAnchor 2.0. It handles well in the water but it does take 2 hands to use. I can hold it with one hand. For pure photography, my Nikon is better.

The Sony can be shot one handed and is much easier to shoot at arm’s length. It is also more compact which is really handy for macro shots in tight situations. Also, the Sony with equipment has a much smaller foot print in packing. Not as good as the Nikon but surprisingly close.

If I had the funds and instant transport, the mirror less would be nice just for those macro shots in tight spots.

Whichever one you get, get an aluminum housing. I highly recommend the Nauticam. My buddy went with the Sony stock housing which is acrylic and it has some issues.

I use a Nikon D800. My buddy uses a mirror less Sony. I call my DSLR, BoatAnchor 2.0. It handles well in the water but it does take 2 hands to use. I can hold it with one hand. For pure photography, my Nikon is better.

The Sony can be shot one handed and is much easier to shoot at arm’s length. It is also more compact which is really handy for macro shots in tight situations. Also, the Sony with equipment has a much smaller foot print in packing. Not as good as the Nikon but surprisingly close.

If I had the funds and instant transport, the mirror less would be nice just for those macro shots in tight spots.

Whichever one you get, get an aluminum housing. I highly recommend the Nauticam. My buddy went with the Sony stock housing which is acrylic and it has some issues.
@PatW do you happen to know which Sony camera your buddy has? (No particular reason, I am just curious.)

Back
Top Bottom