Misool Eco Resort October 2017 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erwin Poliakoff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I recently returned from a great trip to the Misool Eco Resort in southern Raja Ampat. We have been on liveaboards in Raja Ampat previously, and some of our favorite dives were in the area around this resort, so we thought we would give it a try. I highly recommend it. It takes a couple of days to get to the resort. You have to time the trip so it coincides with the dates of the transfer boat from Sorong (3-4 hour ride). We went for a 12 night trip at the resort, and they arrange for a night in Sorong hotel on the way out. We got into Sorong the day before our boat transfer, which allowed us to recuperate a little bit before the ride to the resort. The resort recommends taking the red-eye flight from Jakarta to Sorong, which many of the guests did. For us, at least, I think that this is bad advice. I was glad to have overnighted in Sorong on the way to the resort.

The resort itself is wonderful. I think that they can have as many as ~45 guests. There were probably about 30 guests while we were there. The service, setting, and diving are all fantastic. My wife has MS, and needs a little extra help getting around, and while on the boat. The staff were fantastic in assisting her when required. The dive boats had only a maximum of 8 divers plus staff, and there were no more than 4 guests per guide. I thought that this was fantastic service. The dive sites were as good as I remembered, maybe better. The only downside is that the visibility is not very good in October because there is still a lot of plankton in the water. It was okay, but definitely not as good as one might find in January through March (we are going back in February, so we will test this assertion directly). On the other hand, the plankton brought in huge schools of anchovies, which were very cool in their own right, and also brought in other stuff, including schools of mobula rays. The resort offered at least 3 dives per day, and also had dusk or night dives on many of the days of our trip. I typically did 3 dives per day, while my wife would go on two per day. I did not do any of the dusk or night dives, but the guests who did loved them. There was little in the way of muck diving, so we are going to add an Ambon component to our next trip to Misool in February 2018. On the other hand, the gorgeous reefs were what we wanted to see, and we were delighted at the quality of the reefs. Just for completeness, I want to reiterate that the resort facilities were excellent, as was the food.

Below are some pictures to give an idea of what the diving was like.

36940603014_a789c892d3_c.jpg
002_adj_DSC_5899 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

37630581422_131a5a1079_c.jpg
006_adj_DSC_5152 longnose hawkfish by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

37440502400_43b896b0e4_c.jpg
015_adj_DSC_6130 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

37516111270_29b1d90a9e_c.jpg
053_adj_DSC_6301 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

36974712334_1c8c827025_c.jpg
013_adj_DSC_5901 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

37140152883_db1ea1de61_c.jpg
062_adj_DSC_5101 juvenile boxfish by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

37665939502_2b367caf42_c.jpg
20_adj_DSC_6269 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

The whole Flickr album is located here: 2017 Misool Flickr album

-Erwin

Thanks for the report! What flights did you use to get to Sorong and where did you stay in Sorong? Not a fan of the proposed midnight overnight routing myself.

Thanks for the report! What flights did you use to get to Sorong and where did you stay in Sorong? Not a fan of the proposed midnight overnight routing myself.

My travel agent (Ken at Ultimate Dive Travel) made all of the travel arrangments, and I do not remember the flight information in detail. I remember that it was a Lion Air Flight that left around 9am from Jakarta (but we had to go to the Batik Air counter). It was a nonstop flight, which was great. The hotel in Sorong was the FM7. It was very good, and I would recommend it. The charge was about $60 per night (includes breakfast and wifi). Hope this helps.

Great report. My favorite place too. So expensive though. How was the food? Last time I was there it was, well, lousy.

I personally do the redeye shtick because I want to fly a full-service airline in this part of the world for safety reasons. But that's just me.

Crappy pictures, though. Can't you do any better? :)

- Bill

Great report. My favorite place too. So expensive though. How was the food? Last time I was there it was, well, lousy.

I personally do the redeye shtick because I want to fly a full-service airline in this part of the world for safety reasons. But that's just me.

Crappy pictures, though. Can't you do any better? :)

- Bill

Thanks Bill. Yes, I agree that it is very expensive, but the better liveaboards that cruise Raja Ampat cost about the same. So the choice of which depends on your preferences. With respect to the food, I think it must have improved. It was good by my standards. There were always choices for all meals, including an a la carte menu. I cannot comment on the airlines; I just took the advice of my travel agent, who tends to be pretty conservative, but I understand your perspective completely. With respect to the photography, I will just keep working on it; it is important to have goals... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom