Miss Scuba Manners....What's your unwritten dive etiquette rule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most people tend to be a lot more hard-a$$ from behind a keyboard than IRL. Just sayin'

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I'm not sure about that, Bilsant has stated that he reacts as if being attacked if anyone touches him underwater unexpectedly, and a whole bunch of other forum members "liked" and "thanked" his post. The message I am getting is "stay away or I will hurt you!"

I for one was liking the last statements of his post...
"Be nice to others, don't touch other people or their stuff without permission, use the words please and thank you, wait your turn, leave critters that doesn't want to play with you alone, respect each other's space, and apologize when you're wrong."

Funny how the stuff that was so easy to understand at 5 seems difficult now for folks.

But if I was going to err underwater...I would go with your previous thought. It's a big ocean. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the "likes". A few were from people who have at least met me and know what I'm like.

There is a discernable difference between a touch to help and a grab to control...and even when helping, it's a good idea to ask first. I think most Rescue Courses address this in some way or another.

And I'm certainly not a harda$$ on either side of the keyboard...or were you talking about KathyV?

Again, no intention to be threatening....just the opposite....and I did say please.

:)

DM's who think they somehow special because they went to Utila, payed PADI the monies required and are now so super-duper that now-one need worry as there is a DM aboard!!!

While the family of the DM was nice, she wasn't. Loud, obnoxious, and plain old LAZY. I guess she felt she had something to prove given her sister was everything she wasn't (successful, attractive and quiet) and mom and dad were doctors. So on one dive in Grand Turk they shoved 9 of us in a boat that was comfortable for 6. The DM & family was aboard. So the 3 of us kitted ourselves up to help the lone captain/DM/guide out and to get some peace and quiet. We sat on the featureless sandy bottom for 15 minutes waiting for everyone else. I guess she was above helping her family or anyone out. Needless to say we sat on the surface until everyone was ready on the next dive.

All this talk about lashing out against anyone that touches your equipment has gotten me a little scared!

Last October in Cayman Brac we were diving on a day when the water was pretty rough. The divemasters had put out a line and advised us to hold onto the line while removing our fins to expedite getting back on the boat. The conditions had worsened during the dive and the waves had gotten bigger as I was heading toward the line. Then I saw a guy struggling to free himself because the line had gotten tangled around his tank valve. I came up behind him to unwind the line and free him. He couldn't see me at first but he immediately relaxed and stopped struggling and let me get on with it, and he thanked me later when we were back on the boat.

But now I might be afraid to touch him or his gear without first receiving written permission! And don't tell me that I should have asked first. The winds were high and the water was very rough. It was hard enough just to stay with him and try to help him.

So you might want to think first before lashing out at someone with anger or violence. They might be trying to help you - and you might need help and not know it; like if your tank strap has slipped and you are about to lose your tank.

Is it that hard to shout 'Hey, you're tangled!' as you're heading over/reaching in? This isn't necessarily about sanctity of gear - it's about communication before taking ambiguous action that could otherwise be misinterpreted. Not that turning off others' lights because your underwear's in a knot is ambiguous or subject to misinterpretation - that's just being a :censored:.

---------- Post added February 13th, 2015 at 01:51 PM ----------

The message I am getting is "stay away[, or at least warn me,] or I [-]will[/-] could hurt you!"

Fixed that for you. This is not necessarily about someone choosing to be a hard-ass (though on rare occasion you get that), it's about how different people react (not consciously decide to act) to certain situations.

I must be completely oblivious to bad etiquette on the dive boat, which may mean I am the problem. Sorry to everyone. I agree, keep your hands off others gear. The one exception is when someone leaves their fins in the middle of the boat, I'll push them under the bench.

Kathy V can untangle me from the dive line and I won't punch her. Having been in that embarrassing predicament, it's nice to have someone undo the rope that seemingly has a mind of it's own.. Since I don't hear too well, yelling doesn't usually get my attention. Have fun and safe diving.

Vince, I don't think anyone is taking issue with untangling someone on the surface, at least I'm not. The objection is physical confrontation while submerged. IMHO unless it envolves a life threatening (human) situation (I can't think of all the permutations), save the physical confrontations with other divers for the surface. Then do what you have to do. We're all adults here. Follow whatever moral compass that floats your boat, but underwater confrontations are unpredictable and dangerous. It's a big ocean. There is room for all of us. Safe diving. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom