Missing Diver in Cape Town, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silt or entanglement? I never understood the "urge" to do wreck penetrations on single cylinders. I understand the wreck is @35m (narcosis)?

I am sad to hear about this tragic loss of a diver's life. At the depth of 34m I assume it was relatively dark around & in the wreck. Did all of them penetrate? When did they realise that he was missing ? Only when they surfaced ? Did they use torches ? What was their diving plan ? Silting up the wreck could also be a problem. I would like to be sure my bud stays close to me if we dive to that depth on a wreck.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

A little bit more info here - he was found in the engine room. The wreck is 65 metres long so it took a while to search. The one person I know for sure has penetrated the wreck said it was extremely tight and many places to get lost. Not much other information at this stage. I hope that the dive charter will consider releasing a bit more detail about the incident in the interest of letting others learn from what happened.

I am sad to hear about this tragic loss of a diver's life. At the depth of 34m I assume it was relatively dark around & in the wreck. Did all of them penetrate? When did they realise that he was missing ? Only when they surfaced ? Did they use torches ? What was their diving plan ? Silting up the wreck could also be a problem. I would like to be sure my bud stays close to me if we dive to that depth on a wreck.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

I've never penetrated that (or any other) wreck, so I can't say anything about the inside, and I haven't dived on that wreck, but I have dived on a few others in Smitswinkel Bay. It's typically pretty dark. Even if vis is good at the bottom, there's often a murky layer near the surface which blocks out light. You can see alright, but your dive will be much better with a torch. I imagine it must be quite dark inside.

First off, I have not been to the engin room of this wreck. . . The entrance is rather uninviting.

It is unlikely that this diver just wondered in there. Most likely his plan was to visit the engine room while still sitting on the boat above the water. The immediate question is what equipment he was carrying for a solo trip to the engine room.

65 m Long ship is relatively large . I must have missed the part stating the diver did a solo dive . Serious dive to that depth and then to dive right to the end of the ship into the engine room. One would hope that the cut outs on ships would make it easier to get out of them.

The way I have understood it, he, on OC, was doing a dive with 3 on rebreathers.

First off, I have not been to the engin room of this wreck. . . The entrance is rather uninviting.

It is unlikely that this diver just wondered in there. Most likely his plan was to visit the engine room while still sitting on the boat above the water. The immediate question is what equipment he was carrying for a solo trip to the engine room.

Do you think it was planned as a solo dive? The (very brief, probably quite inaccurate) articles seemed to imply that he was with a buddy or buddies. Of course, that could easily mean he was just diving the same wreck as them on the same day and planned to meet them on the boat at the appointed time.

Surely he would then be the first to leave from the site ...not last ...they discovered at the top that he was missing. That is not how it works . If you descend in a group especially at that depth , you keep an eye on the others in the group. He should have been noticed to be lost at the wreck already. If the others were on rebreathers they would have had enough time to look for him.

Back
Top Bottom