Missing Diver off of Clearwater - body recovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not an absurd rule. This forum is used to analyze and educate. Condolences are for the passings thread. We learn by others mistakes and while emotion is unavoidable totally it should not cloud the purpose of the forum. If everyone let emotion rule their thinking all the time no progress would be made in many areas that actually save lives. Death is a part of life and no one can change that. We can however by unbiased analysis use those deaths to prevent others.

If I might add to Jim's post; another reason for keeping things seperate is that often the families visit and it is much more comforting to read the condolences all together rather than sifting through cold analysis which can often times prove very painful. So it is as much for the families as it is for us to keep things seperate. I hope this clarifies things. Personally, this forum has helped me tremendously, if not saved me, and is a huge benefit for the board. Just as the condolences forum is often comforting to the families.

Repectfully,

-MD

After discussing diving practices with Mike the Friday before his trip I would be interested to hear the status of his pony bottle if recovered. He specified a 32EAN fill for his 13cf bottle that he said he would use when hunting on occasion. I've heard that several avid spear fishers in the area may routinely use this as a substitute for a doubles configuration.

I am mystified why they reported the color of his wetsuit, fins and tank. Talk about a slow news day.

I am mystified why they reported the color of his wetsuit, fins and tank. Talk about a slow news day.

Gear color can help rescuers search more effectively. It's easier to focus on one color then to go chasing every flash of color you may see. It's a big ocean and any help I'm sure was appreciated.

I don't think the media's report of the story including all available information constitutes as a, "slow news day" but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I've heard that several avid spear fishers in the area may routinely use this as a substitute for a doubles configuration.

There's a saying among spearo's that you always see your biggest fish of the dive when you have only 500psi left. If you take the shot and the fish 'rocks up', it can take a significant amount of time to get the fish or your shaft back. Some will extend their bottom time by breathing off their pony. This would be similar to a cave diver starting to use the last third of their tank in the rule of thirds, or driving your car when it's on "E" knowing that there is usually 1-2 gallons in reserve before the engine quits.

I'm not saying this is what happened, I'm just giving a spearo's perspective of why they would begin using a reserve pony airsource. I have not heard anything if a gun was found and if it was loaded or it was shot.

There's a saying among spearo's that you always see your biggest fish of the dive when you have only 500psi left. If you take the shot and the fish 'rocks up', it can take a significant amount of time to get the fish or your shaft back. Some will extend their bottom time by breathing off their pony. This would be similar to a cave diver starting to use the last third of their tank in the rule of thirds, or driving your car when it's on "E" knowing that there is usually 1-2 gallons in reserve before the engine quits.

I'm not saying this is what happened, I'm just giving a spearo's perspective of why they would begin using a reserve pony airsource. I have not heard anything if a gun was found and if it was loaded or it was shot.

Interesting but I disagree. A cave diver PLANNED by WAY of rule of thirds. It isn't a contingency. A 13 cf bottle seems rather paltry comparably. I am curious as to the outcome if any information is ever released. I feel bailout bottles are just that and poor gas management in the name of the hunt is uncalled for.

Gear color can help rescuers search more effectively. It's easier to focus on one color then to go chasing every flash of color you may see. It's a big ocean and any help I'm sure was appreciated.

I don't think the media's report of the story including all available information constitutes as a, "slow news day" but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

In a news story? Really. That's important? C'mon. In a APB yes. In a description to the Coastguard - yes. In a news story? Really? Wait I think that I understand. If they saw another diver floating unconscious with yellow fins, they should ignore that one. Thanks for the clarification!

In a news story? Really. That's important? C'mon. In a APB yes. In a description to the Coastguard - yes. .....

Where exactly do you think the media received it's information?

I may be going out on a limb here but I would guess USCG.

Does anyone have any new information about this yet?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom