Missing Diver off of Kahala, Oahu, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All - first thank you for the concern and prayers. A lot of speculation as to what happened that day - there is on going investigation by the authorties and I am sure once they conclude it more details will be released. The comments, opinions and even the disagreements posted should not be taken lightly....keep the discussion going so this type of tragedy can be avoided in the future. For those of you who love and enjoy this sport....stay safe. A memorial service is being planned for Matt this coming weekend.

Please - stay safe!

I can't imagine what you guys are going through but I can tell that you and your family are in my thoughts. I am very sorry for your loss and hopefull that Matt will be found.
Jim

Any time there is a loss, all of us examine how we dive.

Please convey my sympathies and condolences.

Divermike1011's recent post ended in... "if you were there and can tell us what actually happened please do -- what was reported to me today is incorrect let me know and I'll redact this post."

I was there.
What was reported was incorrect.

zrxdiver,

I understand from your post that you were there and saw what happened. In addition to telling us that you were there - and that what DiverMike posted is wrong - can you describe what did happen? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more. (I have read your previous posts about the day, but I was not able to clearly understand them; also, it sounds like you know/saw more about the incident as well.)

Thank you,
Blue Sparkle

there is on going investigation by the authorties and I am sure once they conclude it more details will be released.

I for one am not holding my breath expecting more details to be released by the authorities. Maybe after all the appeals on all the lawsuits, one of the jurrors will write a book that will be made into a movie. :idk:

halemanō;6036369:
I for one am not holding my breath expecting more details to be released by the authorities. Maybe after all the appeals on all the lawsuits, one of the jurrors will write a book that will be made into a movie. :idk:

All we can do is hope. Many of the incidents in this particular forum are incredibly tragic and my condolences go to anyone who is involved or attached to anybody affected by them. However, it was reading these forums that actually ignited my interest in diving. I was drawn to the challenges that divers face, and have learnt alot through the speculation and debate that many of the threads have sparked.

I am convinced that this particular section of scubaboard has made me into a safer and better diver. The discussion that has been provoked both here and in my own mind have helped both myself, and I'm sure some of the people I've dived with and spoken to about these incidents is, I believe, invaluable as a learning aid for any diver.

Sparkle....

I really dont know any more about it. I just wanted to clarify what I thought of the weather and dive conditions, and what I saw and heard on the surface.

Update here on Oahu. Search has resumed.

Search resumes for missing diver - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com
Honolulu firefighters resumed the search for a New York City tourist who went missing last month during a group scuba dive tour half a mile from shore at Waialae-Kahala.

Matthew Curley, 28, was reported missing Aug. 28. The search, conducted in high surf from a south swell, was suspended after four days.

Island Divers, the commercial dive tour group which booked Curley's dive, found equipment rented by Curley late Tuesday afternoon near the sunken wreck Curley had been exploring.

The company gave the equipment to the police department. No personal effects were found, police said.

Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said police requested another search, which began shortly after 8:30 this morning. Divers returned to wreckage, called "Baby Barge." Besides the underwater search, firefighters are again walking along the shoreline and searching by air with the fire department helicopter.

Curley was a third-year post-grad resident in emergency medicine at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Medical Center in New York City.

ok, on the news the said they found the reg, but didn't mention if they found the tank or bcd. One would think it would be a piece of work to get the reg off the tank. From what they say, they won't go looking tomorrow.

I have about100 dives with IDH. As a long-time diver, I have to say that I have always found the dive operation to be very professional. I dove with them on a night dive the night before this incident. True, there was a strong current, but there was a briefing before we were permitted in the water. Conditions, buddy teams, and safety was discussed. I dove with them again a day or two after the incident. The surf was still up, but t was not a difficult dive. In fact, we dove Baby Barge and the LCU.

Mike T

Back
Top Bottom