Missing diver rescued a mile off shore - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
With the ACR-2881 on sale for $200 after rebate (unless you buy at Amazon or other high priced sites) with free shipping, and the HDVSEATEK canister available for $100 delivered, and the unit being so easy to carry on land and wear in the water - I have to wonder why we don't see most divers wearing these FIND ME NOW lifesavers? I guess it's the same old "I'm careful. I'd never happen to me."

Missing diver rescued a mile off the coast of Cambria
The Coast Guard rescued a scuba diver reported missing off Cambria late Sunday afternoon after she lost contact with her diving partner, spurring a search involving several agencies. The search lasted about 90 minutes.

The woman, described as a scuba diver in her 30s, went missing offshore shortly before 5 p.m. She and her diving partner were in the water about a mile from the shoreline, officials who gathered at Leffingwell Landing said.

“Her partner that was in the vessel said he last had contact with her when she was about 40 feet under,” Cambria fire Capt. Emily Torlano said while the search was still underway. “She was last seen off Harvey Street, about a mile offshore. We’re hoping maybe she got separated and swam to shore, but at this point, we don’t know.”

The search extended about two miles south of Harvey, Torlano said.

A Cambria Fire rescue boat set out south from Leffingwell Landing in search of the diver, one of two boats employed by the agency in the rescue. The Coast Guard and Cal Fire also provided boats, joining two CHP helicopters in the search.

About 15 minutes later, word came over officials’ portable radio that the survivor had been located. Neither she or her diving partner was in need of medical assistance, Cal Fire Battalion Chief Greg Alex said.

“He came back up and she didn’t,” Alex said. “She (eventually) came back up to the surface and had drifted down a ways. She’s just tired, not needing medical treatment, so they’re going to bring her back to Morro Bay.”

Officials at Leffingwell did not know the woman’s name or place of residence. The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office and State Parks were also involved in the rescue effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom