Mixed Gas Text

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HullBlister

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now that I am venturing beyond basic EANx training I wanted to learn as much as I possibly can about the gasses I will be breathing, the physics and physiological effects behind them. I came across "International Textbook of Mixed Gas Diving" by Heinz K.J. Lettnin and have read it cover to cover, putting lots of notes in the margins as I went.

Now I need something else.

However, I am having trouble finding published works that can sit on my bookshelf. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Blister

Agree with the first two titles, but I have not heard of the Tom Mount book. Thanks for the info.

Agree with the first two titles, but I have not heard of the Tom Mount book. Thanks for the info.

I made my opinion on it pretty clear here.

Do yourself a favor and buy a real book... "Bennett and Elliott's Physiology and Medicine of Diving" should be in every technical divers collection. (But is it were, many of the threads here would not exist.) Deeper into Diving is cheaper and well worth it. They might not cover "technical diving" history to the same extent but at least ALL of the science is correct and complete, not just 7 chapters.

Thanks for the pointers to the books. I'm going to order them right away.

Blister

The GUE Tech 1 manual is very good.

I don't know what to say and still be civil. So how's this-

"The editing in IANTD books is atrocious."

That's my nice version. My sitting-around-with-buddies version is a little longer, more profane, much more funny, and probably very accurate.

In addition to Bennett and Elliott: U.S. Navy Diving Manual, NOAA Manual, UNESCO Code of Practice for Scientific Diving, Jolie Bookspan's Diving Physiology in Plain English.

Probably because it's fairly new...just released this last September. I've read parts of it. It really is more of an encyclopedia/reference book than something most of us would read through. You can also get a copy from Dive Rite Express, but it's the same price as the Add Helium Store.

I don't know what to say and still be civil. So how's this-

"The editing in IANTD books is atrocious."

That's my nice version. My sitting-around-with-buddies version is a little longer, more profane, much more funny, and probably very accurate.

Normally, I'd agree with that. The same can be said for a lot of other agencies books too. TDI is notorious for their poorly written texts...I've certainly had to read through enough of them.

Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia: The Tao of Underwater Survival isn't an IANTD course book, although IANTD is the publisher. It was written by Tom Mount and Joseph Dituri with chapters by another dozen or so experts...tech divers, MDs, PhDs, and psychologists. It's actually pretty well written and informative. The text, fortunately, is written for us mere mortals without leaving out the important details. Translation: if you have a decent IQ you'll understand it. If you don't understand it skip tech diving. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom