???Future of Open Circuit Mixed Gas and Rebreather Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you take 20 people with a median of 61 dives I would expect to see results that show people are hammered in relatively shallow water and more impairment. I already mentioned that some people are really hammered at 30 m. In my experience those tend to be nervous/out of shape/beginner type people. Some people are clearly much more impacted than others. I would be interesting to see a difference between people's scores when comparing people like Celt and a beginner.
Agree, studying narcosis in diving is very difficult. Being narced varies from person to person, from day to day, with depth, with level of anxiety, etc. Also external conditions change from dive to dive. There's no lab condition to study narcosis which poses a real problem. However, that does not rende the results useless. As always with scientific studies one carefully has to read and understand what the conclusions are all about.

In my own experience CO2 narcosis is very different to N2. When I experience high CO2, I have a panicking feeling and shallow and rapid breathing. With N2 it's like my brain freezes and I can't think straight anymore. Those are very personal effects that can be different for others.

In the end it's important to understand and recognize what's going on so that you can take the right measures.

Yes, I get feeling of impending doom, exertion at depth, retention of CO2 brings it on.
I'll second this. I found that the beginnings of CO2 retention due to gas density feel like impending doom/ anxiety in the center of the chest whereas full blown gas density issues on a CCR feels like you can't breath enough.

On OC I found that overexertion on air at 80' while dragging a 30lb anchor led to dizziness and headache, probably from CO2 retention, until I rested for 30 seconds to a minute and it just simply went away.

Different sensations on OC vs CCR but they were probably due to gas density on CCR vs workload/ elevated heartrate/ higher respirations on OC.

I don’t understand why people can’t recognise that they are getting out of breath underwater. It’s the same as on land if you go for a run. Don’t get out of breath underwater. You have to work within your fitness level.

I don’t understand why people can’t recognise that they are getting out of breath underwater. It’s the same as on land if you go for a run. Don’t get out of breath underwater. You have to work within your fitness level.
So... you dive deep air, don't get narked, and don't get winded. Truly, your accomplishments are admirable.

Except for gas density and reg/loop breathing resistance.

So not the same. Got it.

Except for gas density and reg/loop breathing resistance.

So not the same. Got it
Can you not feel yourself getting out of breath, it a fairly basic rule. If you don’t have the fitness to do a job stay away from it.

Back
Top Bottom