Volunteers Wanted for Round Table Discussions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• If you're looking for "civil discussions" I'd like the suggest the following topics to kick things off...

- The merits of split fins
- DIR is the only way to dive
- BCD vs backplate/wing
- A mask that fits every face
- Should I get a Teric or Perdix?
- DIN + adapter vs Yoke
- Doubles vs sidemount
:stirpot:
  • The GUE CCR config
  • Is fundies the best improvement class?
  • Should you give your highest cert at a recreational dive centre
  • Deep air, weak Nitrox below 40m
  • Pony or not pony
  • How to strap 2+ stages
  • Who is the least mean person in the Pub? @dmoore19 or @Mrs. B ?
I can provide links to the threads if needed … for research purposes 😂

• The GUE CCR config
  • Is fundies the best improvement class?
  • Should you give your highest cert at a recreational dive centre
  • Deep air, weak Nitrox below 40m
  • Pony or not pony
  • How to strap 2+ stages
  • Who is the least mean person in the Pub?
I can provide links to the threads if needed … for research purposes 😂
Deep Air would be a really good conversation!

I’d volunteer. I’m in Eastern Time zone

Here is a topic the industry needs to get a grip on:

Making the sport attractive, to long term participation, to non-white, non-male and under 35 year olds. Without new input to the sport it will shrink.
average non white females and males are too poor relative to their white counterparts to afford sports like alpine skiing/scuba diving/hockey etc. as those sports require high financial expenses relative to sports like football and basketball for which you can just strap a grocery cart to a tree and train for as long as you want

the way to boost popularity among the demographic that can afford scuba is to have better marketing in terms of TV shows and movies. Jacques Cousteau's filmography was what inspired a ton of divers to join the sport, which is why we saw scuba industry booming until recently. Today, there is nothing similar to what JC did, so naturally we have a shrinking industry that cannot keep up with previous rates of growth as people also get older and retire out of scuba

Here is a topic the industry needs to get a grip on:

Making the sport attractive, to long term participation, to non-white, non-male and under 35 year olds. Without new input to the sport it will shrink.
I agree. This is a topic that does and needs to be discussed more. I hear about it more than I would like to admit. I think you have chosen a great topic to be discussed in the second round of this round table discussion. (Hopefully, the first round goes well)

Oddly enough, even today when I was looking at the list of the last 4 interviews released, I unfortunately fell in with what you are speaking about. I am super grateful for each person I have interviewed, but I need to work better to help break this pattern in Scuba Diving.

One of my biggest goals for this podcast is to speak with everyone. I am excited about the interviews I have conducted and will be released soon. Over time, I hope everyone will see what a great and diverse sport this is while listening to the show.

average non white females and males are too poor relative to their white counterparts to afford sports like alpine skiing/scuba diving/hockey etc. as those sports require high financial expenses relative to sports like football and basketball for which you can just strap a grocery cart to a tree and train for as long as you want

the way to boost popularity among the demographic that can afford scuba is to have better marketing in terms of TV shows and movies. Jacques Cousteau's filmography was what inspired a ton of divers to join the sport, which is why we saw scuba industry booming until recently. Today, there is nothing similar to what JC did, so naturally we have a shrinking industry that cannot keep up with previous rates of growth as people also get older and retire out of scuba
Would you be interested in joining a group discussion on this topic? You make a good point and I think there could be a productive conversation we could get out to a wider audience.

I think we have try to think outside the box, if you have a club system to use equipment for example, you can lower the entry cost for it. I think for example the bsac club system is good it requires long term commitment and you still need to ferry club equipment to the dive site/organise fills (not many places offering fills here)

I think one major issue is that scuba is extremely expensive. At least in the U.K., it’s not easy to dive without owning equipment and you usually need a car too.

When you live in a world where buying and owning a home is an increasingly hard to reach goal for newer generations, it’s unlikely they will start to do something like scuba as long term hobby rather than a tickbox on a wish list.

Here dive shops are disappearing and it’s becoming near impossible organise a dive where you’ll rent equipment at the dive site, unless you dive with a bsac club (which is a long term commitment) or if you buy a package with a PADI/SSI shop (few shops offer this and there isn’t much choice of dive sites)

Deep Air would be a really good conversation!
Indeed ! Count me in as a volunteer on this one.

Indeed ! Count me in as a volunteer on this one.
You are a strong advocate of deep air; this doesn't strike me as being an interesting podcast...just one immovable position statement after another by the participants. It is a duel, not a discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom