Mk 16 vs Mk 17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For some time I have been interested in the Mk17/G250V reg set. My LDS has a really nice price on the Mk16/G250V but I don't recall reading anything here on SB re: the Mk16

So, for a cold water diver, how does the Mk16 compare? Or, perhaps more to the point, what is the Mk16 good at?

Richard

I use the MK16 with G250V and it is a fine regulator combo. Never ever had an issue and it is design for cold water which is all we have here in MN. I think the MK17 is the replacement for the MK16 and MK16 is no longer being made. One thing I think is different is the MK17 has 2 HP ports vs the MK16 which has 1 HP port. This is an issue for me as I want to go wireless and still have an SPG for my back up. This would make the MK17 more desirable.
Not sure what the price points are but you can get a used MK16 pretty cheap as they are no longer made and are older models. The MK17 may be a better reg as it is a redesigned MK16 with 2 HP ports. I really can not speak to which one is better never used an MK17.
If I had a choice right now on which one to get I would lean toward the MK17 for the 2 HP ports, but if the MK16 was cheap enough and I really did not need the 2HP ports I would be ok with it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/262162-mk16-vs-mk17.html

As far as I know the MK16 is basically the same reg as the MK17 without the environmental seal. I believe there was an update kit which replaced the original MK16 poppet with the MK17 one, so you have the same poppet/hp seat. I'm sure it's pretty freeze resistant; I don't know about sub 40F water, but aside from that, it should be fine.

The MK16 was discontinued, I guess the closest current reg is the MK11.

I own the MK17/G250v actually my girlfrind and I both do and we love it. It is a great Reg. She also used a MK25/S600 and she likes the breatability of the G250V better. But the size of S600 she prefers. She know Dives with MK17/G250V and S600 Back-Up. I bought a Set of Atomic M1's and in all honesty dont notice much of any difference. I have not been elow 60' yet so as you gain depth there might be but as of yet have not noticed. No matter what I am sure you will be happy with the Reg's good luck

"As far as I know the MK16 is basically the same reg as the MK17 without the environmental seal." -
mattboy

I am pretty sure the MK16 is environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm first stage from the factory. It is a very good cold water regulator. I have had it in cold MN water with no issues. OP please ask LDS if the MK16 is environmentally sealed.
The MK17 has a different TIS (Thermal Insulation System) housing then the MK16 and 2 HP ports vs 1 HP port. They are both cold water regs.

The MK16 ambiant chamber is open to the enviroment while the MK17 ambiant chamber is sealed.

"As far as I know the MK16 is basically the same reg as the MK17 without the environmental seal." -
mattboy

I am pretty sure the MK16 is environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm first stage from the factory.

I'm quite certain that the MK16 does not have a sealed environmental chamber. That doesn't mean it can't handle cold water, especially with a 2nd stage like the G250V that's more freeze resistant than a smaller, all-plastic stage would be. But the big difference when the MK17 came out was that it was a fully sealed 1st stage.

I'm quite certain that the MK16 does not have a sealed environmental chamber. That doesn't mean it can't handle cold water, especially with a 2nd stage like the G250V that's more freeze resistant than a smaller, all-plastic stage would be. But the big difference when the MK17 came out was that it was a fully sealed 1st stage.

You know what I think you are correct. Sorry for the screw up. I assumed it was as mine has never ever had an issue in cold water (40 or lower). Mine may have been retrofitted during service with a seal kit also. I will ask when I take it in for service next time which is not until October 2010. Thanks for the correction and once again sorry for the screw up.

Back
Top Bottom