MK 5 turret retainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got another offer:

100 pcs min., for 9.20 euros each

According to xe.com, that's 12.30 dollars each, expect a few percents more for buy rate. I'll do a little accounting in a bit, see where we're at currently.

Edit:

Here's where we are:

Henrik: 5
LTSD: 5
couv: 2
jacked_72: 2
Tex: 5
Luis: 5
Awap 5-10

From the previous call
Matt 2
Oceancurrent 4
[-]Luis 2[/-]
Zung 1
Bax 2
Kgualt 4
Superstar 1

That's a total of 38 to 43, depending on awap's goodwil. Not there yet.

Let's wait a few days and see if there's any new candidates. OK?

Last edited:
I would probably buy about 5. Maybe more if we need it to place an order.

From post 52.

If someone wanted to invest in a low return venture, they could probably buy some and then sell them on eBay with a little bit of a profit.
Heck, I would even consider helping by investing in a few more pieces for such a venture, if someone else wanted to go through the trouble of dealing with eBay. I don't care if I don't make any profit... I would just like to recover most of my investment (since I don't need that many bolts). Just a thought...

From post 52.

If someone wanted to invest in a low return venture, they could probably buy some and then sell them on eBay with a little bit of a profit.
Heck, I would even consider helping by investing in a few more pieces for such a venture, if someone else wanted to go through the trouble of dealing with eBay. I don't care if I don't make any profit... I would just like to recover most of my investment (since I don't need that many bolts). Just a thought...

I don't know if there is really any potential for these on ebay. If this does go thru, it is probably going to work out close to $15 a pop. I doubt if there will really be much demand for them as the price climbs closer towards $20 or more. While they are supposed to be the weak link in the Mk5 design, my impression is actual failures were few and far between. Especially now with less users and those users are probably fairly careful to avoid the damaging accidents and tend to service their own gear (or be selective in choosing a tech) so over-torquing should be less of a problem.

That is very possible, I don’t really know.

My LDS would be interested on buying some Mk-5 turret bolts, but due to liability I don’t think she would consider after market/ reproduction parts (she will only use Scubapro O-rings and parts). She has called Scubapro as recently as last year with no luck with the MK-5 swivel bolts.

There may be other dive shops that may be a bit less concern about using only Scubapro supplied parts, but I don’t know.

If the price climed to $20 this would be stiff for a bolt when I just got another mk5 on ebay for under $20 including shipping.
Who made the turret bolts for scubapro?

I think a new approach is in order. We need a couple of volunteers (1 victim and his buddy) and videographer. The volunteer/victim will be casually swimming along when all of a sudden, BAM! The turret blows off his MK 5. Thankfully, his buddy is there to rescue him. Fortunately this is all caught on tape (vintage divers don’t use memory cards) and sent to the Consumer Product Safety Commission…..free SS turret retainers compliments of SP......whatcha think guys? :)

Nothing like Blackmail ... I like it :wink:

Henrik

I think a new approach is in order. We need a couple of volunteers (1 victim and his buddy) and videographer. The volunteer/victim will be casually swimming along when all of a sudden, BAM! The turret blows off his MK 5. Thankfully, his buddy is there to rescue him. Fortunately this is all caught on tape (vintage divers don’t use memory cards) and sent to the Consumer Product Safety Commission…..free SS turret retainers compliments of SP......whatcha think guys? :)

The real question is why has this not occurred naturally??? I suspect the answer is that while that swivel retainer may be a bit under engineered, it works OK so long as you don't over torque it or bang it around, I'm sure the much heavier more modern swivel retainers will also fall victim to the careless tech or accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom