MK 5 turret retainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zung; Am I too late for 2 MK5 turrent retainer?

Zung, Better late than never.
I too would like 2 if it's not to late.
Thanks much, PORBEAGLE

No, it's not too late, welcome on board!

[table 0 0 0 0]Cutomer.........|Min..|Max..
awap|5|10
bax767|2|2
couv|2|2
haloclyne|5|5
HenrikBP|3|5
lakan|2|2
Iknee|3|3
jacked_72|2|2
kgault|2|2
LeadTurn_SD|3|5
Luis H|5|7
parzdiver|3|3
porbeagle|2|2
Superstar|1|1
Texfrazer|5|5
Zung|1|1
||
Total|46|57
[/table]

......But what's so fascinating about the Mk V?

Is it the 7 scfm at 2000 psi and 25 scfm at 300 psi difference
with the Mk 10 and how does that work and what does it do?

Please?

For me the facination is:

1.) Nostalgia & "midlife crisis" :D This was the regulator I could not afford with my pay from spinning wrenches and sweeping the back of my Dad's motorcycle shop as a teenager.

2.) Can I find one and "restore it"? (Yes to both, but since I found one in near-new condition their was no "restoring" needed :wink: ).

3.) It is a fine regulator, and even "prettier" than I remembered it :wink:

Reasons enough for me :D

Best wishes.

But what's so fascinating about the Mk V?

Is it the 7 scfm at 2000 psi and 25 scfm at 300 psi difference
with the Mk 10 and how does that work and what does it do?

Please?

My experience with about a half dozen each Mk5s and Mk10s is that I get better IP stability as a function of tank pressure with my Mk5s than I do with my Mk10s. I suspect that is caused by friction between the HP piston o-ring and the piston stem. Although that friction force is probably about the same in both designs, the larger piston head (twice the surface area) of the MK5 means it has much less effect. Plus, Mk5s tend to be a bit less expensive and some are dirt cheap making for cheaper spare parts (piston, spring, seat retainer, cap, swivel retainer) for the ones I am diving. Only drawback was it was very hard to find DIN converters for the Mk5 (o-ring on the side and a bit longer reach than others SP retainers). A simple adaptation of the Scubapro universal retainer took care of that drawback.

I don't notice any difference in the two models in terms of breathing performance.

I am in for two if it is not to late

No it is not too late; there's even room for 2 more.

[table 0 0 0 0]Cutomer.........|Min..|Max..
awap|5|10
bax767|2|2
Boiler_81|2|2
couv|2|2
haloclyne|5|5
HenrikBP|3|5
lakan|2|2
Iknee|3|3
jacked_72|2|2
kgault|2|2
LeadTurn_SD|3|5
Luis H|5|7
parzdiver|3|3
porbeagle|2|2
Superstar|1|1
Texfrazer|5|5
Zung|1|1
||
Total|48|59
[/table]

Some more news from the machine shop:
  • It'll be grade 304 stainless steel
  • There's an extra charge of 15 euros for tooling to cope with the imperial thread, or .3 euro/.4 USD each
  • The head (hex part) will be 17 mm instead of 17.46 mm (11/16") for some unclear reasons. Arnaud thinks it'll work with a 11/16 socket. Can anybody confirm/approve?
Regarding the through hole, I think the consensus is .160". Can I confirm it or shall we leave it at .165" as per the original drawing?

Some more news from the machine shop:
  • It'll be grade 304 stainless steel
  • There's an extra charge of 15 euros for tooling to cope with the imperial thread, or .3 euro/.4 USD each
  • The head (hex part) will be 17 mm instead of 17.46 mm (11/16") for some unclear reasons. Arnaud thinks it'll work with a 11/16 socket. Can anybody confirm/approve?
Regarding the through hole, I think the consensus is .160". Can I confirm it or shall we leave it at .165" as per the original drawing?

My $0.02 as an observer,

I would imagine they just can't get 11/16" hex bar, and 17mm is available easily. Not sure I understand the tooling for a metric thread vs imperial thread though. The thread form used should be the same 60 degree, and the rest is just programming on the CNC lathe.

I'm sure Luis will chime in, but if it was my design, with regards to the 0.005" variance, I would tell the machine shop to use whatever drill bit size was available (4.1 vs 4.2mm assuming they are primarily metric there)

Good explanations.

Regarding the extra charge, they say they need a "plate" to do the "american thread". Here's the original text:
"Par contre, il demande un forfait d'un petit outillage spécifique pour le filetage aux cotes américaines."
I must admit I've never been within sight of a CNC machine, so I have not idea what this is all about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom