Mk15.5 owners: scrubber duration advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
$895.00 later in shipping and customs charges, I (finally!) got three kegs of 4-8 mesh Sodasorb HP to the Galapagos in advance of my two-week Sky Dancer trip. BUT now, am wondering if those kegs are going to be enough.

Now, one of the reasons I went with the Mk 15.5 is because of the long duration. Assume 5 dives a day max, six hours underwater. Temp 55-80 F depending on thermocline. At just under 8 pounds of Sodasorb per canister, I made the assumption that I will be able to fill my canister once a day. At that rate, I will have exactly enough Sodasorb for 14 canisters. With everyone else on the boat--including my girlfriend/dive buddy--diving OC, I doubt I will be able to do many marathon dives like I would want to.

I know O2 consumption and C02 production is rather variable, but does anyone else have some ball park figures on their Mk15.5 canister life? I should be able to get 6 hours, right? Some issues include the very strong currents around Wolf/Darwin islands where we are supposed to spend most of our time. It is only the shorter duration 4-8 mesh, rather than the 6-12. I am pushing a Gates video housing and lights. I am athletic and lift weights, which is reported to make one burn more O2 and produce more CO2 than the average bear.

Should I bother bringing another keg along on the flight, or do you think I am OK?

Also, if the canister is warmed up after every hour in the water with a 90+ minute surface interval in equatorial weather, do you think that improves the efficiency? Why not?

Thanks for your input.

No opinions yet? OK. It sounds like I answered at least one of my questions with my "some issues" blah blah. Screw it, I guess will have to lug a keg of 6-12 sodasorb and pay the $3 a pound extra baggage charge.

teksimple:
No opinions yet? OK. It sounds like I answered at least one of my questions with my "some issues" blah blah. Screw it, I guess will have to lug a keg of 6-12 sodasorb and pay the $3 a pound extra baggage charge.

Sorry just seen this post.

The Navy use 5 hours at 90m in cold water (who stays at 90m for 5 hours?)

Six hours per fill in warm water should be no problem at all.

I do up to 7 hours on one scrubber regardless of depth, then if the next dive is going to be a deep one (sub 50m) I swap it out, if its a shallow one(s) then Ill do up to 11hours. But after 11 hours the scrubber IS well used up - its solid. I wouldnt want to have to work hard on it.

If you want to extend your scrubber usage you can always go onto OC O2 at your last stops. That unused scrubber time can add up over multiple dives.

DrMike:
Sorry just seen this post.

The Navy use 5 hours at 90m in cold water (who stays at 90m for 5 hours?)

Six hours per fill in warm water should be no problem at all.

Oops, I find that I am rather inpatient waiting to get the heck out of Baghdad!

So thanks, Dr. Mike! I just saw an old e-mail posted on the Metacut archives saying that Mike Severns once did 14 hours with his Mk 15.5. But I have dived with Mike Severns and probably weigh 50% more than him.

So what kind of sorb was used in these tests? 4-8 mesh, or something else like Sofnolime?

teksimple:
Oops, I find that I am rather inpatient waiting to get the heck out of Baghdad!

So thanks, Dr. Mike! I just saw an old e-mail posted on the Metacut archives saying that Mike Severns once did 14 hours with his Mk 15.5. But I have dived with Mike Severns and probably weigh 50% more than him.

So what kind of sorb was used in these tests? 4-8 mesh, or something else like Sofnolime?

Softnolime (fine)
Divesorb Pro (course)
Sodasorb (course)

My advice is at first to start off just doing 5 or 6 hours (normal diving at the site) then when you empty the scrubber see how much is used up (it will be kinda solid where its used) That will give you an idea of how much time you personally might get given the water temps and the conditions at site etc. and you can adjust next scrubber usage accordingly, and so on.

Good luck - but please be conservative - your mileage may vary!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom