MK25's and G250v's or MK17's and A700's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the g250 over the a700 simply because I can take off the faceplate without tools and the mk25 because of hose routing, but I'd deal with the mk17 if I dived in colder water. I'd probably get the parts to make it a mk19, which is pretty sweet.

17 (the 19 would be sweet) & G250v.....

Mk25 A700 with S555 octo

02042011455.jpg

Like this.
The missus has a pair of Mk25's with two GV250's

MK25 & A700 for my main tank, MK25 & G250V for my pony for diving in the tropics.

MK17 & S600 for main tank, MK17 & G250V for my pony for very cold water.

If those were my only choices I would take one stage of each, MK17 and G250V. MK17 is better for cold water and the G250V is probably there best breathing second stage at this time and is great in cold water. The only reason the A700 is around is for marketing purposes.

If you go single tanks I'd go with the MK25. The routing is better than the MK17 (first hand experience).

I've brought my MK17 to near-freezing water close to a bit over 40f multiple times with no problem, but I've also seen some people using the MK25 in the same conditions with no problem either (but they do actually use another set of MK17's for ice-diving)

The MK17 would be better only in extremely cold waters like ice-diving or very early spring quarry diving. But the hose routing is much better on the MK25.
Also, the MK17 is env. sealed. So if you go down south and dive in salt water it wont be much of a problem, the MK25, you'll need to rinse it better in order for it not to corrode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the second I'd go with the G250v. A lot of people still state the G250 series is the best ScubaPro ever produced. The A700 is a sweet looking reg, but I'd rather have the G250v.

Also, you can check on the SP website that they have put the G250v apart. Some people speculate that this is a sign that Scubapro will stop manufacturing it. I'd get one.

I have 2 x G250V (Halcyon model, Aura I think)) I currently dive with the H75P's (Halcyon version of MK25) and the G250V's. I also have a MK25 and a A700. Also, Apeks Tech3's and XTX50 for my 80 lb stages. I was gonna use the MK25 and A700 for a 40lb deco bottle.

The lake up here gets cold, very cold down deep. I was going to switch to the MK17's on my doubles just to mitigate possible freezing.

Well if you have TEK3... which are sealed diaphragm why would you need to go and get MK17s.
The only overall difference from the TEK3 to the MK17 is that the MK17's body has Radiator-like surface that is supposed to be better for cold water ( that what SP claims but I would like some proof on that)

Check the posts here on the MK25 in cold temps. I'm in Quebec so I know cold temps too.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/415010-lowest-temp-you-have-taken-your-mk25.html

But ya. The GUE instructor for my Fundies class uses his MK25s all the time, except for ice-diving, he has a separate MK17s set.

Back
Top Bottom