Mk5/10 seats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, I'm using a different IP gauge to the one I had in the past, so I'm not certain it's not just gauge error. My four regulators (Mk10, Mk5, Mk5, Mk25) are 145, 140, 150, 145 right now. The Mk25 is ~15 dives past service, has a 140->145 in 4 seconds. One Mk5 has a lockup a little under a second, the other Mk5 and the Mk10 are pretty much instant.

I don't remember what controls lockup, but I've got Vance's book here so I guess it's time to reread.

Just to re-cap:
(Start with good IP gage as this may really be the problem)
Tear down (leave seat in retainer)
Clean and lube
Break glaze on piston stem
Replace hp o-ring with duro 90
Re-install retainer and seat
Test again. IP still high? Back up and remove shims.
Test again. IP still high? Change hp seat.
Sell MK 25

Edit to answer Q:
Lockup is the condition that exist after the hard and soft seat make contact and creep stops. That’s why a well lubed piston stem, piston head & stem o-rings, and the proper hardness o-ring are important. Anything that slows the piston down will increase creep and IP.

Last edited:
Another good thread with great replies from the usual suspects. More tools for my mental "toolbox".

Thanks for starting it aquaregia.

As usual, I have nothing to contribute except a friendly :bump: so more folks can read it.

Best wishes.

+1 for the IP Gauge: get another one. They are fairly cheap if you don't buy them at a dive shop. Mines are very consistent: left, CL 2.5: $30 @ dive shop, center, CL 1: $2 @ eBay, right, unspecified: $10 @ hardware store.

In addition to Bro couv's good advise: inspect knife edge with a loupe. If you have problem with creep or slow lockup, it's that or the seat.

Attachments

• IP-Gauges.jpg
    IP-Gauges.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 192

Back
Top Bottom