MK5/MK10 body cleaning brush?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I was just a bit concerned because I sort of remember when I attacked the fying pans with the green stuff, it scratched the stainless steel. I guess I remember wrong.

Thanks. I was just a bit concerned because I sort of remember when I attacked the fying pans with the green stuff, it scratched the stainless steel. I guess I remember wrong.

No, no ... you remember correctly. There are green scrub sponges that has abrasive in them. You need to either check the label or do a little test before attacking the reg :)

Henrik

Another valuable lesson learned:
My local supermarket actually sells 3 different flavors of Scotchbright:
- "Strong & scratchy"
- "Strong & non-scratchy"
- "Soft"
I bought the "Soft"
Thanks

Maybe one day we should put together a step-by-step do's & dont's. When I first found this board, I was overwhelmed by its depth and I was lost in its breath.:D

Yeah,

I thought I could use an ultrasonic cleaner as much and as long as I liked.....My MK5 didn't think so.....:depressed:

Couv

Thankfully, most everyone here communicates the "learning opportunities" they've had first hand knowledge of, and most everyone is nice enough to help correct the errors.

I continue to learn a ton on most days I get to wade through the info.

Another valuable lesson learned:
My local supermarket actually sells 3 different flavors of Scotchbright:

Yep :) tricky ...

I thought I could use an ultrasonic cleaner as much and as long as I liked.....My MK5 didn't think so.....:depressed:

Couv

I left an R109 in the water/vinegar mix for too long ... took off quite a bit of the chrome and expanded the bare brass spots much more than "necessary".

Live and learn :)

I continue to learn a ton on most days I get to wade through the info.

Me too. Thank you so much to all of you "old hands" sharing all your experience.

Henrik

I realize this thread hasn't been used in a while, but for your consideration, I bought a MK 5 cheap to use as my first foray into restoration and repair. It was in pretty sorry shape, with brittle o-rings and a good bit of corrosion where the piston o-ring rides. No matter how much I soaked with detergent, or soaked in vinegar/water, there was still a line of corrosion just where the o-ring rested, telling me salt water had gotten in at one point. Scrubbing with a toothbrush didn't make any headway, nor did judicious rubbing with a plastic or wooden pick. I never thought to try the Brasso technique. Before giving up completely, I chucked a small felt wheel on my Dremel tool and using a little jeweler's rouge and a very light touch, I was able to polish it out. I wasn't going for a mirror finish, just enough to get the walls smooth. I cleaned/rinsed thoroughly to get any remaining compound out, and put the reg back together. It worked perfectly, and I've since put a few dives on it--it breathes great. I'd never use this on a regular basis, because it probably represents years of normal wear on the brass, but it did save me from giving up on what is now a functional reg.

Back
Top Bottom