MLW - eh???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone know about these? East German double hose regs, I believe.

There's oner for sale in my price range, but I know nothing about them; are these likely to genuine vintage?

Cheers,

I am not familiar with them. I still recommend for actual diving use as opposed to collecting, Voit or USD regulators are easiest to find parts and supplies for and overall perform best. If you are just collecting odd regulators it does not matter. There are other types out there that are used in Europe but may not be especially well known here and they maybe fine regulators but what about parts?

Just this past weekend some fellow came out of the water (after seeing me dive with the double hose) and told me--not asked me--that my double hose was hard to breath because he had used one before and it was hard to breath--ok---here is the deal--you cannot get some old junker from ebay or Uncle Fred and after it had laid under the bed for three decades go jump in the water and dive it and expect it to perform well or be safe. Of course it was hard to breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get something you can get parts and service for, Voit and USD, from several sources service and parts can be gotten easily and cost effectively. The cheap deal is not always the best deal or even the cheapest or another of my favorite sayings, "some people will go to any expense to save a dollar!" N

Nemrod:
I am not familiar with them. I still recommend for actual diving use as opposed to collecting, Voit or USD regulators are easiest to find parts and supplies for and overall perform best. If you are just collecting odd regulators it does not matter. There are other types out there that are used in Europe but may not be especially well known here and they maybe fine regulators but what about parts?

Just this past weekend some fellow came out of the water (after seeing me dive with the double hose) and told me--not asked me--that my double hose was hard to breath because he had used one before and it was hard to breath--ok---here is the deal--you cannot get some old junker from ebay or Uncle Fred and after it had laid under the bed for three decades go jump in the water and dive it and expect it to perform well or be safe. Of course it was hard to breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get something you can get parts and service for, Voit and USD, from several sources service and parts can be gotten easily and cost effectively. The cheap deal is not always the best deal or even the cheapest or another of my favorite sayings, "some people will go to any expense to save a dollar!" N

Cheers Nemrod,

Truth be told, I am collecting, I just dive some of it as well:D . I must have about 40-50 old depth gauges as well as a similar number of single hose regs and this would be my fifth double hose.

I'm lucky in that my LDS owner is a personal friend, and a guy who grew up diving the gear I collect in the late 50's and 60'. I have managed to tempt him back into getting the old stuff out from the closet, servicing it and getting it ready to dive together in the not-too-distant future.

This guy also has a very well-supplied workshop and if he can't tool something that is unavailable commercially these days, he can get it manufactured bespoke in China. Warm water's not the only good thing down here.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought it anyway. I have no will-power whatsoever.:shakehead

Now if someone can find me a Voit Dolphin II square design...

Can he get yellow hoses?

BSea:
Can he get yellow hoses?

Truth be told, he probably could. You can get anything manufactured in China if the price is right. I was thinking about backplates, myself...:eyebrow:

I think the MLW is the same reg as the east Greman MEDI. A guy that goes by EMILIO LARGO on vintagedoublehose.com has one and dives it all the time. FYI You may want to get with him ref parts and operation.

"Truth be told, I am collecting, I just dive some of it as well . I must have about 40-50 old depth gauges as well as a similar number of single hose regs and this would be my fifth double hose."

That is fine, great that you have such a nice collection, all that old junk needs a safe home. I misunderstood that you were looking for something within a price range that you wish to dive.

Yes, aren't old depth guages neat, I have a bunch also, also old compasses and other dive guages. Some actually work and that makes them even better but unfortuantely most no longer work and in fact many probably never did work.

Well when you get that new regulator howabout some pics of it.

"Truth be told, he probably could. You can get anything manufactured in China if the price is right. I was thinking about backplates, myself..."

That would be true in the USA also, anything can be made or manufactured but will the cost be acceptable.

N

Nemrod:
"Truth be told, I am collecting, I just dive some of it as well . I must have about 40-50 old depth gauges as well as a similar number of single hose regs and this would be my fifth double hose."

That is fine, great that you have such a nice collection, all that old junk needs a safe home. I misunderstood that you were looking for something within a price range that you wish to dive.

Yes, aren't old depth guages neat, I have a bunch also, also old compasses and other dive guages. Some actually work and that makes them even better but unfortuantely most no longer work and in fact many probably never did work.

Well when you get that new regulator howabout some pics of it.

"Truth be told, he probably could. You can get anything manufactured in China if the price is right. I was thinking about backplates, myself..."

That would be true in the USA also, anything can be made or manufactured but will the cost be acceptable.

N

There's a good chance I'll dive it as well. Tomorrow I'll be diving my usual Apeks rig (sorry), but to compensate, I'll be wearing an AMF Swimmaster depth guage which matches my computer exactly at 160fsw. Not bad for an old piece of junk :D

The grand plan is to put a display together in my study, along with a bunch of underwater pics I hope to get good enough to capture. The Aquamaster I mentioned on here earlier is going to be used primarily for photgraphy, unless I fall in love with it, of course...

As for the MLW, you'll have to wait a while as shipping heavy stuff to Hong Kong is very slow or ridiculously expensive (so I'm taking the slow, cheap route), but yes, I'll post 'em.

I think 1969ivan1 is right, I managed to get a bit more info, and it looks like the Medi he mentioned. I'll keep digging and let you know.

Thanks, fellas.

I have a ScubaPro 0-500 foot mechanical guage, black with a chrome accent ring. There is something about wearing a guage that reads to 500 feet!!! I have an old Voit (actually several) with an orange face, it too is relatively accurate. Not all of course but quite a bit of the gear I dive I purchased new over the years and still use it. It may be vintage but it is the gear I dive. Of course, thanks to gifts along the way and now ebay I have been able to replace somethings that had worn out and even add to my useable collection. I love ebay, my wife does not like it as much---lol. Well, anyways, good luck with the regulators. N

*shameless bump*

My wife just called, apparently there is a large, rather heavy package on my doorstep right now :)

Will check it out tonight & update tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom