mmmm....dinner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkerr

Reaction score
Actually this old girl was to big to keep by about 1/2 inch. Guess it to be about 15lbs. Oh well....:)

Sorry the picture didn't show up well.

Are you sure that's just a lobster? Wow! Thanks for sharing & thanks for being honest & putting her back!

to break the law on lobstering in Ma. They are very stict and do patrol the beaches. This one was found in about 20fsw on a shore dive. I had not been there before, but after seeing her and all of her only slightly smaller friends, I am returning there this weekend.

I understand why you wouldn't be able to keep something because it's too small...but why can't you keep it if it's too big? I just don't get it. *Brain hurts...so confused*:confused: ;-0

Amber once bubbled...
I understand why you wouldn't be able to keep something because it's too small...but why can't you keep it if it's too big? I just don't get it.

Massachusetts Lobster fishing laws have a minimum and a maximum limit. The maximum limit exists in one of the 3 coastal fishing zones, and to get a license to fish in that area, you have to agree to the max limit.

Personally I'm in strong support of the max limit. As lobsters grow older, the number of young they produce is exponential. The large lobsters can sustain the population even if 95% of the legal sized lobsters are being taken.

It's sort of massachusetts way of rewarding those bugs that survived so long!

Thanks for the explination Spectre. Now that I understand...I think it's a good idea.

I was diving in Cozumel last year and seen a couple of lobsters that I might be able to throw a saddle on.:D

But I am thinking that when they are to big that they arent edible.
Can anyone elaborate on that??

Rooster1 once bubbled...
But I am thinking that when they are to big that they arent edible.
Can anyone elaborate on that??

I can't comment on spiny lobsters [I assume that's what they have in Cozumel], but for the American Lobster, they are quite edible. A lot of people complain that they get tougher as they get older, but my experience has found that people just have a tendancy to overcook the larger ones.

It just gets a little interesting when you need the hammer to get through the shell. Regular Hammers generally come out a couple times a year, but it's been a few years since we've needed the 5 lb sledge hammer.... :smash:

I didnt know that the bigger they are the more young they produce..............
Thats interesting.........

:)

Back
Top Bottom