Mo2vation Boat dives for 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
--------- update ----------

While we continue to discuss things in this thread, I wanted to post a link to the thread with the outcome of our discussion.

Here is the final thread with the 2006 Calendar year on it:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123220

--------- end update ----------

Let's talk about getting a schedule of boat dives together for 2006. We can put up polls in separate threads to vote on things when we get to that point, but for now we should just talk about what we want to do.

I'll start it off with a random collection of thoughts to get things going. Remember this is just a discussion and I'm not telling people what to do. That's up to all of you.

I'm thinking that we should do this on the 4th Saturday of every month because we do the Wrinkles Dive on the 2nd Saturday of every month. This spreads things out a bit during the month.

Taking some figures from our SoCal Roll Call, we have the following:

16 people north of LA County (11% of total)
61 people in LA County (40% of total)
33 people in Orange County (22% of total)
28 people in San Diego County (18% of total)
14 people in San Bernadino and Riverside Counties (9% of total)
152 total

Maybe we should rotate the locations in a way that puts more boats closer to the majority of people on the board. Here are some thoughts about this. I've just chosen some boats for the sake of the example, we still need to decide on exactly which boats we'll use.

Los Angeles has 40% of the members and Orange County is next with 22% of the members.

Orange County is about 25 miles from Long Beach where the Sundiver is and about 40 miles from Redondo Beach where the Pacific Star is. Orange county is about 85 miles from San Diego where the Lois Ann is. So Long Beach and Redondo Beach are closest to 62 percent of the people on the SoCal Roll Call.

Here is an idea I've come up with that might work or might help us come up with a better way. We could go from the Sundiver in Long Beach to the Lois Ann in San Diego to the Pacific Star in Redondo Beach to the Peace in Ventura and then start over. That would put us in San Diego and Ventura areas once per quarter and the Los Angeles area twice per quarter but on different boats.

Now on the subject of boats. I have not discussed deals with any of the boats except the Sun Diver. That was the quickest and easiest for me to get us started on our boat dives to see if the idea would work. We were able to work out a deal with no commitments, which is something that we need to do because none of us is going to want to be financially responsible for a whole boat if it does not get filled.

A monthly boat dive seems to have been popular enough with our experiment on the Sundiver to move forward and plan the next year. I think that the low attendance for Oct. 1 on the Sundiver is due to the fact that it's the day after opening night for lobster season. By the way, there is still plenty of room on that boat if anyone would like to join us.

We need to decide on which boats we would like to consider for San Diego, LA, and Ventura. Once we talk about which boats we should consider, we can vote on which one we want for each area and then I can talk to the people that run those boats and find out what they can do for us. Maybe we'll talk to the #1 and #2 choices for each area to see what would work out best for us and then have a run off.

So, let's do some brainstorming! What are you thoughts about what the best way to do this is?

Christian

Very hip idea, Christian. Great idea to have a list of prefered boats to choose from, since we're picking the day first, and the destination and boat second.
4th Saturday is a great choice.

LA boats:
I love the Pac Star (nitrox :), the Great Escape, the CeeRay.
I've heard great things about the Magician (San Pedro) and the Encore (near the Queen Mary).
I won't dis any boats, just list the ones I like or have heard good things about.

Ventura:
Spectre is OK, Peace is good.
Anacapa is a fun destination. Because of the short trip you can dive for 4hours and 20-something minutes in one day :D .

I'm looking forward to the Oct 29th party on the Sundiver!!

(RE: October 1st Boat2vation: Some nutty pair of local divers that we all love :07: and adore :heart: have decided to get married in the evening on September 30th!! Knocks us all out of opening night and out of an early boat call the next day!!! Although if anyone sneaks out of the party early, odds are they'll have dive gear in their cars :05: "Is that a depth-finder in the pocket of your tuxedo? Or are you just.....?)

Wax up those surfboards for This weekend!
Claudette

Christian - thanks once again for getting all this organized.
As for boats, it was like you read my mind. I've been on the Pac Star and would go on that boat any time. I really enjoyed my time on that boat.
The same goes for The Peace, another great boat to go diving.
I've never been on the Truth, but have heard good things about it and would like to try it one of these days.
As for the Lois Ann, never been on it, but definitely up for trying it.

As for Oct 1, I can't make it as it is my anniversary with my g/friend. I'll be in San Diego. Although I will be diving the Ruby E that morning through www.gottadive.com. I'll give my opinion of the boat later.

A lot of people have have much more experiences with boats in the area and I am willing to pretty much try any boat once. I like the democratic approach and letting everyone vote for 'their' boats of choice. I think this will work out as shown by the Sept and Oct 29 boat dives.

dci is a good choice, quick and easy.

and I had hoped to join in on one of these Oct boat trips, but I've been sooooo pre-occupied with real estate issues (selling, packing, moving, buying, you get the picture.) The good news -- Pac Star will be in my new 'hood. The timing of move #2 in 4 months is probably early Oct, so I'm out on that one and probably too broke for the next...but I'll catch up with you, maybe on the Pac Star.

Christian,

Sounds good, I like the idea of changing locations. Being able to sleep the night before on a SD or Ventura Co. boat would definitely influence my opinion on weather to take that trip or not (coming from Phoenix -> Anaheim Hills -> ??). It's also nice on a LA boat for convenience, I'm not a morning person.

My personal preference is the all-inclusive style, so I can just bring my cash for the trip and my ID and leave the wallet at home.

Having it on a set date, regardless of location or boat, is always best for me, since I'm coming from Hell, oops I mean Phoenix. And I can plan a couple months in advance.

Don't have alot of experience with the Socal boats, but have been on a couple excellent multiday's on the Sand Dollar in San Pedro (see description here http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1266219&postcount=18).

Thanks for all your work on this, the Socal scubaboarders are lucky to have ya.

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Being able to sleep the night before on a SD or Ventura Co. boat would definitely influence my opinion on weather to take that trip or not (coming from Phoenix -> Anaheim Hills -> ??). It's also nice on a LA boat for convenience, I'm not a morning person.
This is a great point.

Since we will have people join us from all over SoCal and beyond, it would really be a nice feature to be able to accomodate people sleeping on the boat the night before.

We should probably confirm the ability to do this in advance. For those traveling from far away places, it would be nice to have the ability to reserve a bunk instead simply having it be available on a first come, first serve basis.

I think that as long as we request the ability to do this at the time of making the reservation, it should work out nicely. This would avoid the unfortunate situation that we recently heard about from dasalomon where all bunks were full by the time she arrived at the Sundiver. She wound up having to find a place to stay and got very little sleep that night, which put her on the road to a very poor experience overall.

Christian

Great ideas.

As far as boats, I'll vote for the Great Escape (all inclusive available, sleepover available, more bunks than divers), the Encore (all inclusive available, sleepover available, more bunks than divers) and the Magician (although you can't sleep on the Magician) out of LA. Magician goes to the rigs, a bonus.

Big thumbs up on the Sceptre out of Ventura. 4 dives a day to Anacapa/Santa Cruz. All inclusive price is available. Sleep over is available, but no reserving I don't think - they may have more bunks than divers.

Thumbs up to the Truth. They do some 4am single day departures to San Miguel . . . veeeeeerrrrry fun. A little farther north though, in Santa Barbara. Sleepover and bunk reservation available.

Would love to dive the Peace, just haven't had the opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom