Moalboal or Panglao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterVV

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have five nights free after diving at Malapascua and I was first set in Moalboal but now I am also considering Panglao. I guess there will not be enough time for both since I think I will need to get all the way back to Cebu City to travel between the two.

If I have to pick one which will be best? Both for diving and everything else.

If you do make it to Panglao please make sure the dive operator pump its own gas eg. Sea Explorers!!!!! Smell it first if in doubt. And stay away from the sea food BBQ in the evening. And make sure your room is NOT facing the area where live music is performed everynight!!!!!!!

Moalboal is my suggestion.

panglao has access to balicasag which is pretty awesome. small island with wall dives all the way around it. I saw about ten turtles on a single dive. Can't speak for moalboal

Personally I would say that Panglao has more varied dive sites, with more fish life than Moalboal, you can also access to Pamilican or Cabilao from there, although I would state the best dive site of all is dived from Moalboal (Pescador).

For one or two days diving Moalboal is great, for 5 days Panglao is better.

Both are good. Panglao is busier and I saw that a new system of permits is now introduced for Balicasag - though not entirely clear how it works exactly. If you are going during rainy season also may need to consider the weather - Moalboal is a 3 hour drive from Cebu airport but if you are in Panglao need to take a boat across which can be risky if bad weather comes in. If you have 5 days after Malapascua this probably means day to Moalboal and day back to Cebu with 3 full days of diving left which Moalboal has plenty for. I recommend night dive as well. Dived with Cebu Divecenter - small outfit with reasonable prices and very friendly.

Time frame is important. If I had only two days, I would do Moalboal. Pescador Island is an amazing experience when the sardines are there. You can almost hear Sir David Attenborough narrating what you are seeing.

If you have a few more days then Bohol is tough to beat for the diversity. Balicasag is easily one of the top five dive sites when conditions are good and you can see the massive school of jacks.

What do you want to do after diving? If you like quiet, then Moalboal is your place. If you want options, then Bohol.

I would opt for Panglao. I actually prefer the Alona Beach dives over the Balicasag dives but it has changed a bit since a typhoon about 3 years ago (prior to Yolanda). It pushed a lot of sand out over the face of the reef in front of Alona Beach. I really like seeing the Dwarf Moray (golden yellow with the blue with black stripe eye and the hairy pipefish). I have done the Malapascua and Panglao combo quite a few times and enjoyed combination . Course you could even do Dumaguette/Apo with Malapascua too but it would cost another half day via fast ferry from Cebu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom