MOD Stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just gives more flexibility particularly for training with a limited number of cylinders and eliminates the duct tape.

We might use simulated gas content when practicing gas switch skills in shallow water during courses. The protocol is to have both the simulated percent and the actual percent marked on the tank at the same time. Then on the later dives in deep water just have the actual percent.

Sounds like a great idea!! 10/10!

The only bottles I have permanent MODs on are my O2 and 50% bottles.

My other bottles get some blue painters tape and a wide sharpie.

I use White Tape and a marker. You'll get tired of having the wrong markers on the wrong bottles. I think saying that using 40% instead of 50% because you don't have to clean your regulators is one of the cutest things I've ever heard. Completely true by the book but honest slapping 50% on your normal regulators won't make them explode. Honest.

When you go to 80% or 100% then make sure they are o2 cleaned. If you are diving fresh water and steel tanks focus more on ensuring the bottles are clean inside.

Another user of white duct tape and a Sharpie here. I usually put clear packing tape over it, too, but I'm really not sure the packing tape is needed.

Some folks stick to Standard Gases. I was trained to use Best Mix. When I plan a deco dive, I generally work out what deco gas will get me out the quickest and use that. I used 70% for deco when I dived the Oriskany last summer, for that reason. I also factor in the possibility of surface surge, so sometimes I will use, for example, 80%, even though 100% might get me out faster, just so that I can do the majority of my hang at 30', instead of having to ascend to 20' to get on O2.

It would make no sense for me to spend money on pre-printed deco bottle labels. I don't have enough deco cylinders to have different ones dedicated for 70%, 80% and 100%. Plus, white tape and a Sharpie works just fine....

It would make no sense for me to spend money on pre-printed deco bottle labels. I don't have enough deco cylinders to have different ones dedicated for 70%, 80% and 100%. Plus, white tape and a Sharpie works just fine....

Buy a few more tanks... they’re super cheap.

Hahahahaaa!!!! Hilarious! (tape and Sharpies are even cheaper!)
Breathing the wrong gas is one of the most common factors in tech diving fatalities.

Sharpies and duct tape because you’re too cheap to buy a scuba tank is nickel rocket nonsense. Stick with rec diving if you can’t afford to tech dive.

Dogma...analyze your damn gas and mark the mod after you fill the tank and before each dive.

Having every cylinder permenantly marked is fine, but you can still pump the wrong ******* gas into it.

I am first of all trying to understand the advantage of a preprinted, permanent sticker over one written on duct tape with a magic marker when it comes to reading the markings at depth. Is it a visibility thing? Are the permanent labels easier to read in poor visibility or something?

Next, I am trying to remember when there has been an incident caused by a failure to read a label correctly at depth. I know the details of too many incidents of oxygen toxicity, but pretty much every one was actually caused by a failure of protocols on the surface--the divers went into the water thinking they had a different gas in the tank than they actually had. The one that comes closest in my mind is the WKPP incident when the diver dropped off his stage bottle at the 70 foot depot and took his 70 foot bottle as the stage and breathed it to 200 feet. In that case, though, I never heard there was a problem with bottle marking, though.

Back
Top Bottom