Modified W200.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have several different versions of this light for sale.

All have had all the sealing Orings replaced for better quailty ones.
They all now use 2 18650 Li Ion cells ( run times quoted based on 2500mah cells)
All LEDs and electronics have been replaced.

This pic shows the W200 compared to the IST
ISTandW200.jpg

W200/R2 Aspheric
. As the name suggests it uses a Cree R2 LED and an aspheric lens. The entire beam is concentrated in the hotspot. There is next to no spill at all. This works really well for low viz conditions and signalling. Burn time is about 4 hours at full power before it will turn off with no warning. I can also set this up so it has a much tighter brighter beam of about 5.7 degrees.

W200R2.jpg

W200/R2 Aspheric @ 5.7 degree focus
w200R257.jpg

W200/R2 reflector . Same as above but uses a reflector instead of aspheric lens. The hot spot is smaller and slightly brighter and there is also some spill light.

W200r2reflector.jpg

W200/P7 or W200/MC-E This one uses a quad die LED. Either Cree MC-E or SSC P7. Hot spot is much larger than the R2 reflector and there is brighter spill light. As with most multi die LEDs there is a slight dark spot in the centre. This is not noticable underwater. It has 3 power levels 100%,50% 10%. Run time on high is 1.5 hours.

W200MCE.jpg

For comparison purposes below is a pic of a DR fixed focus 10wHID. It uses a Welch Allyn "6degree" bulb but in reality the beam is much wider.

DRHID.jpg

All pics were taken on a Canon G10 ISO 80, 1/30sec, f2.8

Cost
W200/R2 $300NZ
W200/MC-E or P7 $380NZ

Shipping is $15NZ or $50NZ tracked.

Batteries and charger can be brought from DX who offer free shipping.

DealExtreme: $8.98 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)
DealExtreme: $7.92 Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger

Last edited:
I have several different versions of this light for sale.

All have had all the sealing Orings replaced for better quailty ones.
They all now use 2 18650 Li Ion cells ( run times quoted based on 2500mah cells)
All LEDs and electronics have been replaced.

This pic shows the W200 compared to the IST
ISTandW200.jpg

W200/R2 Aspheric
. As the name suggests it uses a Cree R2 LED and an aspheric lens. The entire beam is concentrated in the hotspot. There is next to no spill at all. This works really well for low viz conditions and signalling. Burn time is about 4 hours at full power before it will turn off with no warning. I can also set this up so it has a much tighter brighter beam of about 5.7 degrees.

W200R2.jpg

W200/R2 Aspheric @ 5.7 degree focus
w200R257.jpg

W200/R2 reflector . Same as above but uses a reflector instead of aspheric lens. The hot spot is smaller and slightly brighter and there is also some spill light.

W200r2reflector.jpg

W200/P7 or W200/MC-E This one uses a quad die LED. Either Cree MC-E or SSC P7. Hot spot is much larger than the R2 reflector and there is brighter spill light. As with most multi die LEDs there is a slight dark spot in the centre. This is not noticable underwater. It has 3 power levels 100%,50% 10%. Run time on high is 1.5 hours.

W200MCE.jpg

For comparison purposes below is a pic of a DR fixed focus 10wHID. It uses a Welch Allyn "6degree" bulb but in reality the beam is much wider.

DRHID.jpg

All pics were taken on a Canon G10 ISO 80, 1/30sec, f2.8

Cost
W200/R2 $300NZ
W200/MC-E or P7 $380NZ

Shipping is $15NZ or $50NZ tracked.

Batteries and charger can be brought from DX who offer free shipping.

DealExtreme: $8.98 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)
DealExtreme: $7.92 Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger

Regarding the photos of beams: I assume the captions refer to the photo below the caption, correct?

Correct.
I should point out a couple of corrections. With the W200/R2 it will shut off with no warning when the batteries go flat only when using protected cells. If you use unprotected cells it will run for longer as it slowly dims down to nothing. Not good for the cells but may be of benefit for for some divers.
The W200/P7 or MC-E has a low battery warning feature where it will flash between high and low when the voltage drops. Switching it to low mode will then give you some more burn time before the low volt cut off kicks in.

Correct.
I should point out a couple of corrections. With the W200/R2 it will shut off with no warning when the batteries go flat only when using protected cells. If you use unprotected cells it will run for longer as it slowly dims down to nothing. Not good for the cells but may be of benefit for for some divers.
The W200/P7 or MC-E has a low battery warning feature where it will flash between high and low when the voltage drops. Switching it to low mode will then give you some more burn time before the low volt cut off kicks in.

just a question ,
love the IST's I got from u

WHAT is the distance { feet }and area of the beams spread {Inches}so I have some idea of the
comparision of the lights
looking for another , not sure of why ,,,,lol ,,,

All the above pics were taken from the same distance. 2.4 meters or standard ceiling height ( sorry I dont do feet and inches). Didnt measure the beam widths but the W200/R2 aspheric is about 10 degrees ( IST is about 8) or 5.7 degrees finely focused. Other beam pics can be approximated from that.

This pic shows a W200/R2 vs the IST (right)
w200vsIST.jpg

looking for another , not sure of why ,,,,lol ,,,

You can never have to many dive lights! You can have too few though. That would be 3 or less.

Thanks for my W200 light Packhorse :) and the info on the differences between using protected and unprotected cells

Oh I should point out that if you do use unprotected cells make sure they have button tops and not flat tops ( on the + terminal) or there is a spring on the inside of the light head for the + terminal. Some lights I have produced (mainly the ISTs but maybe the odd W200) will not work with flat top cells unless they have the spring. Reason is the + terminal of the battery does not protrude far enough to contact the terminal in the light head.

Back
Top Bottom