Mola mola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mola4.jpg

Scientific purposes?
Apparently we get mola mola a couple of hours north of my dive center- rumours at this stage but apparently there have been sightings towards the end of the year. Would be cool if we get some. My only other sightings have been at the surface in NZ.

The sunfish apparently surfaces to get parasites removed by seagulls and a small fish called a half-moon fish.

Hmm. Seems a shame to take a Mola. We had a herd of Mola in the Monterey bay last August, just a year ago. I remember the dive because there were a lot of jellies in the water, and then lots of little Molas and a few big ones. The Sea Lions were not kind when playing with the baby Molas.

Why would these guys take this massive Mola? What a complete bummer. I eat fish and I thoroughly enjoy them. I will admit, as manly as I am, I do not hunt fish. I leave others to my dirty work, so I can not fault fishermen for doing their job. But when I see pictures of this slain massive Mola, or read threads about dumb ass fishermen catching and killing GSB because they are ignorant of what they have caught, or read news articles about 800lb Maikos being caught and killed...these are the moments my hands want to be around somebodies neck.

Back
Top Bottom