Mona Island advice - hows the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're considering a liveaboard trip to Mona Island. Would love to hear from anyone who has dived Mona Island.

What's the marine life like? How is the vis, the currents, swells and etc. Our trip would be probably be in December/January.

I heard there's some reef diving, some drift diving and some live boat diving. I've heard you see lots of sharks and turtles. Even though I've heard these things I haven't talked to anyone who has actually dived there.

Opinions appreciated. We need to book pretty soon.

Looking at the $600 off Nekton trips? We are also. If you haven't seen it, there's a little detail on their itinerary page.

Looking at the $600 off Nekton trips? We are also. If you haven't seen it, there's a little detail on their itinerary page.

Yes we got the e-mail too. I read their description on the web site. I've also looked at some old SB posts regarding the diving there and I've Googled it. The more I read the less interest I have. I wish I'd hear from a few people with positive comments.

Some talk about strong and/or ripping currents. Some say it isn't what it used to be. Some say all the big stuff is gone. One person described waiting on the surface an hour for the boat to position itself for a pickup due to large swells and windy conditions.

A week long diet of fighting strong currents just to get back to a mooring line isn't very exciting to me.

I dove Mona while living in PR. We actually camped there as there is nothing on the island but a National Park guide, one man. The island is beautiful with caves, mountains to climb and beautiful beaches. Along with the beauty of the untouched island the diving is incredilbe...a big kept secret. The walls are prestine as is the clarity of the water...big stuff!!! It is a very romantic island however the trip across from PR is extremely rough to say the least...it was fun to watch faces slowly turn white and green and you can imagine the rest.. Diving was the best and I have been numberous places. Drift dives and walls were plentiful. Suggestion...plan a trip to Ricon and hire a boat to take you to Mona and paln a camping trip. Some dive companies may provide this for you. It is too far to go just for a dive or two.

Check out the latest version of Sport Diver magazine. It has a nice article about PR and diving around Mona Island.

Back
Top Bottom