Money on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always travel with a, "I just stabbed a guy in a bar. We have to leave NOW!" stash in cash. Never had a problem. Hide it in an air vent or roll it up in a diaper and wipe some chocolate on it so it looks like poo.

I've never had a problem with cash but then I'm a giant.

I also don't sweat the exchange rates too much. When it comes right down to it, it's a matter of dollars or cents, not Benjamins. Dolla Dolla bills, y'all.

I pay cash pesos when the exchange rate is downright stupid (15:1, or less). Otherwise, I try to charge everything to a credit card and get my points or cash back. I don't live in MX, but I can't imagine it's too tough to pay the CC balance online.

I typically use cash and do not care about residual upon leaving because I always know I'll be back (I looked in my backpack/man purse and there is $5K MXN next to my passport). I do see a number of folks use thier card and have it charged as Pesos. You should get an exchange rate set by your bank on a visa debit or credit card. The key to this is to make sure the bill is in Pesos and are charged the same number of Pesos's. One scam that is used is for a vendor to give you a bill in dollars instead of Pesos's and when you ask to charge it in Pesos's they do an unfavorable conversion. Be careful the bank should do any conversions not the vendor and in Mexico the bill / menu should be in Pesos's.

Cash is bulky and unwieldy

Cash is subject to theft and loss.

Cash is antiquated technology.

I don't feel the need to impress my enemies with a big wad.

Its not about a big wad of cash, loss, or tech!!

1. When is the last time someone broke into your house and stole cash? Online theft happens every sec for MILLIONS of dollars
2. Also using Peso's over dollars is in our advantage. We make money using it rather than the dollar.

Reactions: BRT
Its not about a big wad of cash, loss, or tech!!

1. When is the last time someone broke into your house and stole cash? Online theft happens every sec for MILLIONS of dollars
2. Also using Peso's over dollars is in our advantage. We make money using it rather than the dollar.

1. Was anyone talking about losing cash out of your house?
Have you ever suffered an online loss for which you were not reimbursed?

2. Agreed. I have ALWAYS advocated the use of the legal tender of the country in which you are traveling.

Back
Top Bottom