Monitor to small

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblebrain

Reaction score
Hi all you video taping scuba divers !!!!!!!!!!

I have just purchased the Ikelite 6037.14 for the sony dcr vx2100 and it seems to be a good enough housing except for the fact that the monitor is to small to see the video readout and small details in front of the lens underwater , above water it's OK .
For this model of housing Ikelite doesn't make the mirror, and I have come to my wits end searching the web looking for answers . If you have a suggestions I'm all ears .

Thank you for your help .

Does it look like there is space to mount an Ikelite mirror?

I had an older Ikelite housing that was not designed for the mirror and was able to mount one. If your housing has a clear left side and you can flip your LCD screen to point out, you should be able to mount one.

For mine I had to cut about 1.3rd of the plastic attachment part away due to a control being in the way where the mirror needed to be.

Even then, I do not like the mirror as it reverses motion in front of the camera, I always tended to pan right to follow a fish swimming left, etc...

- MikeT
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

Never mind what I said, I didn't realize that this was one of the round housings. Mine was the clear box type.

I don't think there is anything you can do with that style of housing. Ikelite doesn't support external monitors and there doesn't seem to be a way (or room) to install a small monitor inside the housing pointing out the back (like an Equinox housing does).

- MikeT
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

I have the same rig, same camera, I've learned to get close, and point the camera at the subject.

no, this is not a pretty solution, you can see into the monitor sorta well enough to kinda roughly frame a shot, but manual focus is a nightmare. I also have tried flipping the monitor and trying to hold the camera sideways, but this wasn't any better, and I didn't think it was worth the trade-off in battery consumption, as well as making it more difficult to hold a shot steady.

really, the wide angle lens that Ikelite sullplies with this case is an excellent one, and makes the above advice possible.

I've posted a quick montage in the portfolio section of my company's website that I shot with this "point and pray" method. www.vistamax.net

if you find another solution to this problem, please post it here.

Hello All

I contacted Ikelite and told them about the problem with the Housing and sony and they sent me a updated eye piece and now I can see eveything I need to see on the moniter screen . Now I can think about heading out and getting work "training" .

Thank You for all the help .

Bubblebrain .

FloridaJeff:
I have the same rig, same camera, I've learned to get close, and point the camera at the subject.

no, this is not a pretty solution, you can see into the monitor sorta well enough to kinda roughly frame a shot, but manual focus is a nightmare. I also have tried flipping the monitor and trying to hold the camera sideways, but this wasn't any better, and I didn't think it was worth the trade-off in battery consumption, as well as making it more difficult to hold a shot steady.

really, the wide angle lens that Ikelite sullplies with this case is an excellent one, and makes the above advice possible.

I've posted a quick montage in the portfolio section of my company's website that I shot with this "point and pray" method. www.vistamax.net

if you find another solution to this problem, please post it here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom