Monterey Ca - Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was able to dive Point Lobos on 10 Oct, 2009. From the surface it appeared to have about 20 foot viz, with a few Sea Nettles floating around. It turned out to be about 10-20 feet of Sea Nettles with dark underneath and about 5 foot of viz. I got stung across the lips a couple of times so I looked like Angela Jolee's father for a while after the dive...

Saw some star fish and Nudis and lots of colorful coral but not much else.

We moved to a new spot (unofficially called Allison's Upchuck, one of our first time divers was very sea sick there) no nettles and better viz but no large fish, sea otters, sharks, sea lions or seals.

Had ERR99 happen on both dives,but I did get a few shots (here is a link)

I was able to dive Point Lobos on 10 Oct, 2009. From the surface it appeared to have about 20 foot viz, with a few Sea Nettles floating around. It turned out to be about 10-20 feet of Sea Nettles with dark underneath and about 5 foot of viz. I got stung across the lips a couple of times so I looked like Angela Jolee's father for a while after the dive...

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you picked the wrong week to be here! I was at Lobos on 10/11, and we had similar 5-7ft viz. I don't know if you've been out here before, but usually we see anywhere from 15-35ft, and whenever it's more than 10ft, it's a gorgeous dive site, definitely one of the favorites in NorCal. I hope you have a chance to come back and dive again when the conditions are more favorable, hopefully we can make a better impression next time :)

I was there on the 8th and 9th and it was marvelous. Vis not great in the shallows, but it was very nice at depth. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I was DMing at The Breakwater on the 10th and 11th and vis was horrid there, too.

(Meanwhile, vis on the North Coast was spectacular. Go figure.)

This was my 4th trip there, we have had pretty good viz that last couple of trips, guess I was due!

Hey Mike,

Glad to hear you had better experiences on previous trips as Lobos is such a beautiful site most days. Sorry about the lips!

(((kevin)))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom