Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breakwater.
I was with the noisy group of college kids by the two white vans in the lower lot. We all had tanks with orange shoulders.
I was either the smurf in the parka before noon or the one with the green long hose and burgendy pockets on my wetsuit in the afternoon.

Where do you see the monkeyface eeels at bwater? I have peeked in inumerable cracks and holes along the wall expecting to see one but have yet to. Saw one a couple years back at lover's point but never since. Appreciate any tips

thanks
Ken Loomis

Where do you see the monkeyface eeels at bwater? I have peeked in inumerable cracks and holes along the wall expecting to see one but have yet to. Saw one a couple years back at lover's point but never since. Appreciate any tips

thanks
Ken Loomis

Monkey face eels live in rocky outcroppings and cave-like areas. Usually they're tucked away from view so you'll have to do some snooping or get real lucky to see one with it's head out.

The Monkey face on that dive was off the wall. There's some rocky outcroppings if you take a North heading straight off the bend, and another off the #5 on the wall. You're more likely to find one set by taking the N heading off the bend then heading E from the first outcroppings to the second.

I wasn't there so I can't say if that is where the TA saw it, but that would be my best guess.

I myself have seen a Monkey face at the wall in 10ft of water around the #5. But that was last year. If it's still there it be a rare sighting to see its head in view. There's too much spacing between the rocks and the wall. I got really lucky.
Come to think of it, that one was garabaldi orange, so might have even been a Cockscomb instead.

Dove the breakwater today. Warm & sunny day. Some small surf & surge. 10-15 foot viz. 54F in the water

Did South monastery today. Clear and warm with a pleasant breeze at the beach. Entry /exit was a bit rough but do-able. Strong surge and particulate matter in shallows. At >35fsw vis improved to 30-40 feet and very bright, encrusting life on rocks very vivid and colorful. Crawl exit. expect video posted in coming days.

---------- Post added November 24th, 2012 at 12:24 PM ----------

Did South monastery today. Clear and warm with a pleasant breeze at the beach. Entry /exit was a bit rough but do-able. Strong surge and particulate matter in shallows. At >35fsw vis improved to 30-40 feet and very bright, encrusting life on rocks very vivid and colorful. Crawl exit. expect video posted in coming days.

link to video
S Monastery dive with Jen nov 2012 - YouTube

Dove S. Monastery last week in pouring rain. 0 swell and not even an ankle slapper in the surf zone. The water was very green and cloudy (maby plankton bloom?) with lots of salps in the water. Looks alot better this week!

Dove Point Lobos on Friday, 40' vis outside of Whalers cove.
Dove the Metridium Fields and the wall at Breakwater on Saturday. 15 -20 at the Metridium fields and the wall had 30 at 25 fsw. Much less deeper and shallower, very interesting. Great Sea Lion encounter for my 50th dive!

11/27/2012. North Monastery was off the hook. 40-50ft vis. Calm. Blue water. Epic day. North Monastery 265-266 059 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Second dive was Breakwater. 10-15 ft vis. Calm. Gale warning in effect tomorrow. Wanted to sneak in a couple of dives before the storms. Glad I did.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 09:56 PM ----------

Here is a link to the whole dive. Flickr: davebaessler's Photostream
More to come.

Looks so calm that an hp80 tank would work like an hp100
11/27/2012. North Monastery was off the hook. 40-50ft vis. Calm. Blue water. Epic day. North Monastery 265-266 059 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Second dive was Breakwater. 10-15 ft vis. Calm. Gale warning in effect tomorrow. Wanted to sneak in a couple of dives before the storms. Glad I did.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 09:56 PM ----------

Here is a link to the whole dive. Flickr: davebaessler's Photostream
More to come.

11/27/2012. North Monastery was off the hook. 40-50ft vis. Calm. Blue water.
We dove out of Lobos as the only dive team #1. To me the water was a little green after the blue water we saw in Mendocino a few weeks ago.

There were hundreds of sea lions hanging out around the trench, terrorizing Mola Mola's. We cruised into Monastery beach after our second dive and for the first time I have seen it could idle along 6 ft from shore in 4 ft of water without being worried about being tossed onto shore. The ocean was that flat.

The wind was strong when we first dropped anchor at Thumb's Up. Kinda had me worried at first as my dive flag was making a racket. It was an offshore breeze though, so no big wind chop, and no noticeable current.

35+ Vis at the Metridiums today. The wind and swell direction made San Carlos beach shelter cove. Mild surge to about 30 FSW then nothing after that. Lots of playful sea lions. Great day to be in the water. Hopefully these conditions will hold through the weekend if the swell direction doesnt change.

Back
Top Bottom