Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove south monetary 3/2 tonight. North was looking a little to bumpy.
Vis was 20-25ft. Surge was was 3-5ft every 30 or so. Lots and lost of particulates stirred up and blowing around. Not great for pictures.
Got my ass kicked getting out, been a while since that happened. Got slapped down, I dug in, but next wave ripped back out and up and then helpfully tossed me half way up the beach. The get out message was clear :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hasn't been updated yet over the weekend? -Ok I'll put my report in then. Sat 3/7 did a shore dive between Hopkins and Lover's point, bit of a rough entry and surgy down to 40ft. vis was only 10ft shallow but beyond 40ft opened to 15-20. Noticed several large greenling that were much redder in color than is typical. Lovely day topside, lot's of baby harbor seals on the beach at Hopkins.

Dove with Beach Hopper Saturday: "Seriously" (is that a "boat crew" name? Just east and a bit south of Hopkins Deep). Tens of metridiums! Greenish water with intermittent particulate storms. A little surge and 54-55 degrees. About 65 feet max depth.
"Aquarium Wall" Greenish water, less particulate matter suspended. A bit more surge but still not bad at all, and 55 degrees although I'd swear I hit a couple of areas where it was 10 degrees colder, not registered by the computer though. Several lings including a big'un.

Lots of nudis at both sites.

A little bumpy on top but not bad at all. Nice day in and on the water.

Early am 3/10 dive at north monastery. 30+vis no surge, good water clarity. Walk in walk out. Go dive people! Only thing that would have made nicer is more sun coming through, but it was just over the hill and getting trapped in some light clouds.

Pics
https://flickr.com/photos/8859561@N08/sets/72157648948562874

Video showing off the vis
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205281074700512

We are headed back out tomorrow with the kayaks .

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 05:02 PM ----------

Dove outer butterfly house today 3/11. Once the rain stopped it was beautiful surface conditions. The water was dead calm. Sadly underneath was super green though clear of particulates. I put vis 15-20ft at 7"0ft depth.
Still beat being at work :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A couple of nice dives on the Beach Hopper today. Flat and sunny on top!
"Metridium Mountaintop" lived up to its name, it was pretty even in the decidedly green water. Viz did open up to about 15 feet with a green tinge at 60 fsw.
"Macabee Pinnacle" was very green and a little bit of surge. The kelp isn't dense but, it is there. A couple of schools of fish were hanging in the kelp, I suck at ID''ing them :D

Night dive 3/14 north monastery. 58 minutes 96ft (average 48ft) 53f, vis varied and is always a little hard to tell at night but I put it around 20-25ft. . The green from mid week had cleaned up a bit, but it was still a bit murky and a fair amount of particulates were stirred up. A nice enough dive though. At some point my computer told me I was 4 minutes from deco, which surprised me, guess I was down deeper longer then seemed (need to double check the numbers). Little surge in the 30ft range but not to bad and a good minute apart. Lots of life out tonight and tons of crabs running around. Easy walk in and out, though after getting slammed last week I had moments respectful pause and wave count :p.
Pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkerpad/sets/72157649027091104/

Last edited:
Two dives with Steve yesterday (3/15) in Monterey Bay. One closer to Coral Street and the other around Lovers Point. Lots of surf perch hanging in the kelp and the usual ling and cabezon on the rocks. Viz was about 20 feet at 50 feet depth. Surface conditions were fantastic. The highlight was a baby gray whale that came by to say a brief hello about 20 yards from the boat during our surface interval. Overall a great day to be out on the bay.

coral st and breakwater (metridium fields), vis was decent 20 to 30 ft. 56F in the water. Saw 2 octopi out on the pipe. coral st was pretty surgy, hence the change for the 2nd dive.

Fun dive at the Monterey Breakwater last night with Raftingtigger & some other dive club friends.

Flat seas & good viz (she reported 30+ feet from an afternoon dive there). We were joined early by a harbor seal & saw lots of crabs and schools of small fish (for my 3D camera).

43 feet max depth, 76 minutes, 53F

The highlight of the dive was this Spiny Lobster Raftingtigger spotted:

I've been diving Monterey since '87 and this is the first I've seen here.

Back
Top Bottom