Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pretty bad vis today at lovers pt, less than 10 ft at best. slightly better at the barge, but still not nearly as good as last week. water was pretty warm, 61f.

Had 10-15' of vis, along with a strong long-period surge, on the reef at Breakwater yesterday morning. Water was quite warm - 59-60 F according to my Oceanic. There was one class in the water; otherwise I had the place to myself. Ah, weekday diving...

The wave model has looked awful this week, but when I asked my FB friends about conditions Raftingtigger said she needed a buddy, so down to the BW I went today for an afternoon dive.

Traffic was surprisingly good so I got there way early.

The water was pretty flat with just a bit of wind chop. We swam out to the 8, followed the bottom of the wall out to the very end, then returned along the 25 foot contour to surface at the 6. Max depth 43 feet, 82 minutes bottom time.

The water was warm---63F at the surface & 61F minimum---and the vis was 20 feet plus.

There were big schools of all kinds of large and small fish---especially out near the end of the wall. We were buzzed by a harbor seal, sea lions and a cormorant.

It was a great dive!

By the time I got home my son had given away all of the Halloween candy.

There was supposed to be a storm hitting today.

Breakwall parking lot deserted. Maybe everyone forgot to set their clocks, but that can't be it, it was fall back when I reset my watch. As I was looking at conditions I overheard an instructor telling his students to pay parking after the briefing since they don't patrol the lot until noon (this BTW is incorrect). I decided to set up a few things before paying my parking.

Took my time getting the camera and other gear all ready. Then a relaxed stroll to the water. Entry was bathtub like, and the swim to #8 was very pleasant. Super calm seas, bright and clear day, with a view of the bottom to at least #6.
Descended at #8 and drifted slowly along the interface between the sand and the rocks all the to the very end of the jetty
Took pictures and a few video clips along the way.
Watched the huge schools of Blue Rockfish, Pile perch, and probably Halfmoons at the end.
Turned the dive after 50+ minutes and about 1/3 of my air. Drifted up to 25' and started a slow return ( against the current). I was really enjoying the dive and checked the clock time on my computer. 11:31am, not bad -- WAIT, @#$$@, I forgot to pay for parking! They don't check until noon according to what I overheard. 25 minutes, I can do that. Switch to overdrive. There are lots more fish at this level and even one sea lion. I slow for a few pictures, but mostly motor on.
Made it back to my car a few minutes before noon, dump my tank, grab my wallet, and pay for parking. It wasn't until I looked at my wristwatch that it dawned on me that my computer was still on daylight savings time. Face palm. I had about 80 minutes to get back.
Great dive. Fantastic life. Good visibility - could see the surface from 40 ft, with a horizontal viz of 20+. Temp 57-59. Dive time 78 min. And best of all, no ticket.

Lesson learned - pay the parking fee FIRST, even if you don't get a ticket it can impact the dive.

PB012626.jpgPB012625.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.mitchell.750/videos/906691152750147/

Last edited:
That sounded great! I had four dives there and one off of McAbee last weekend. Wore gloves on the first dive and discarded them for the next four. Crazy how warm the water is.

Good dive tonight (Thursday). First time back in the water since Belize. Belize was great but I missed are local waters :).

We hit the water about an hour after high tide at Lovers 3.
It was a little stirred up and surgy at first but things calmed down about halfway through.

Water clarity was decent and I put vis at 20-25ft though a little less shallow were it was a little more milky.
Hoping my shots of the octopus my buddy found and the shrimp I found come out.

My computer put it at a high of 59f... which I think was warmer thenthen up top :p

Last edited:
Fun dive at Point Lobos Middle Reef this morning. Flat, with a rising tide. Water temp was 57F on the surface and 54F at depth. Viz was awesome! I'm calling it 30+ feet, but I could see the surface clearly in the deepest water---max depth 54 feet.

Followed a Sheephead for a bit who obliged me by pausing for me to catch up and get a close shot. Lots of small Senoritas and Tubesnout. There was a big school of Blue Rockfish above us---a little too shallow for me to race up for a video clip.

47 minutes bottom time.

Nice dive with David at Pt. Lobos on Friday, Nov. 13th. We were the only divers in the morning. A bit cold at first and some surge, but sunny. We saw[FONT=&quot] a cormorant, lots of fish and critters and good visibility. Dove middle reef to 56 feet. Water temp. at depth 55 degrees. Got some good video. YouTube channel; timothytech1[/FONT]

Lousy conditions last Saturday, Nov 14th, but we went in anyway. (It's almost always worth doing one dive!) Dove along the pipe at the Breakwater out to the metridiums. Even found the pipe on the way back. Don't often see divers crawling out at the Breakwater, but that was the day for it. Viz was less than 10 feet. Water temp about 55 degrees. High tide so very little beach and waves up to the rocks. Lots of kelp on the beach too. Most of our group declined a second dive, but two did try. They promptly lost each other after descending, came up, found each other, and called it a day. Lunch at Hula's was good though.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 04:59 PM ----------

How about making this an annual thread? Someone can start "Monterey conditions 2016 (let's keep it going)" on January 1st and it won't go on for hundreds of pages.

How about making this an annual thread? Someone can start "Monterey conditions 2016 (let's keep it going)" on January 1st and it won't go on for hundreds of pages.

Just click the "go to last unread post" button and it automatically jumps you to the last page you got to. It is neat to see all the conditions history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom