Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today was a beautiful day for diving Lobos. Not a cloud in the sky, and vis at hole in the wall was 75+ ft even with lots of tiny critters in the water column. Monastery looked perfect when I passed it this morning.

A few shots from Wednesday:

_WUF9793.jpg_WUF9780.jpg_WUF9774.jpg_WUF9800.jpg_WUF9764.jpg_WUF9762.ORF.jpg_WUF9802.jpg

Lobos was OK today. The swell forecasts and weekday reports hinted at very nice conditions. We had calm seas and viz around 15-25ft. Really clear inside Whaler's Cove, a bit milky out at HitW and Granite Point Wall, and fairly dark and murky at Beto's and 3 Sisters.

I think someone mentioned they had similar viz at Lovers today.

Skipped Monastery Beach today as I didn't want to crawl. You could have walked out with good timing but I was just too lazy and after a month off, lack of practice usually doesn't end fortuitously. Breakwater had some small waves early afternoon. Visibility was anywhere from 15-40 feet at depth, although probably averaged about 20-25 for the most part. Surge was non-existent. Love it when it's that calm. Dive lasted a bit over an hour and could have gone a bit longer but my feet and hands got cold. By the time I got out, it was flat as a lake and the wind had completely died.

If those conditions remained into the evening, it would have made great conditions for a night dive. I'll be down there tomorrow at Lover's Point but as forewarned by jamirocake, I'll have alternate plans if conditions don't hold. Overall, it was a great first dive of the year.

Breakwater was nice and calm today. Basically no waves or swell, and ~20 ft vis around the wall. We went out to the barge for the first time today and found it with no trouble thanks to the great directions in an earlier thread!

We dived lovers #3 and #1 on Sat (yesterday).

Lover's #3 was extremely surgy with around 15-20ft of visibility. There were occasional sets of medium-sized breakers very close to shore (leading to an easy crawl out), but otherwise the surface was very flat -- I was quite surprised by the magnitude of the surge.

Lover's #1 was a much better dive. Significantly reduced surge (but still some, despite a very flat surface) and 25ft visibility. I also saw my first Cabezon which made me quite happy (yep, I'm new to this!).

Today, Brekwater (along the wall) was better than excepted: 15-20 ft. viz (make that 25 ft. in some spots more far away from the wall and deeper), small to medium breakers. There was only another team of about 7 doing an open water certification. An over all very enjoyable dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom